300ZXTT - replacing crankshaft seal.

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
mudgripz

300ZXTT - replacing crankshaft seal.

Post by mudgripz » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:22 pm

Have a small oil leak from crankshaft seal. Can anyone advise is this a major or an easier fix? Any special tools required - price of parts?

Anyone know who could do this job in Chch?

Thanks

djz

Post by djz » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:31 pm

Front or rear seal? Front shouldn't be too hard, rear means transmission out.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

merlin

Post by merlin » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:32 pm

Try using RISLONE main seal repair oil additive . I don't use my car enough so my rear seal has a small leak. Pour a bottle into the oil and it might expand the rubber seal. Drive it 150-200kms and it should seal within a few days. Did it for me and it gets good reviews. A lot easier than trans coming out.

mudgripz

Post by mudgripz » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:50 pm

Its the front crank seal on mine..

What is the Rislone product you found did the job Merlin - I will give this a try.

Thanks

merlin

Post by merlin » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:16 pm

It is called - Main seal repair- It comes in a 500ml? silver bottle. Around $29-$40 depends where you get it from

mungyz

Post by mungyz » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:04 pm

Just be VERY careful with this one,

I've not ever seen an oil pump/front crank seal leaking on a VG30 (not just by itself at least, seen a few with virtually every seal, hose & gasket pouring oil out)

I've seen PLENTY where the rubber gasket between the sump & the oil pump has been leaking.

Replacing the oil pump seal will take at least four hours even if everything goes 100% according to plan, they normally do not give in so easily though & the cam belt drive cog will be seized onto the crankshaft, the bypass hoses will be shot, the water manifolds on the front will be corroded.........

In short if the oil pump seal is leaking & you want to do the job correctly you will be up over $1K in parts & labor before anything goes wrong over & above the norm.

If it's the gasket between the sump & oil pump then ideally the sump needs to come off to do it right, drop subframe etc etc etc = $1K anyway

Alternatively if the area is cleaned REALLY well it can be sealed with high quality sealant from the outside, allowed to cure 100% & then you should be OK.