Thoughts on importing this?

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
sBoff

Thoughts on importing this?

Post by sBoff » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:19 pm

Hi all, I know this topic has been hammered before but to be honest this seems very cheap and very clean.. What are the negatives of going this way? Would it be difficult to get compliance being LHD?

gatewayclassiccars .com/houston/1973/datsun/240z-S222

marrow

Post by marrow » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:09 pm

very nice.
as far as I know, negatives are mainly the risk of buying sight unseen, shipping, and tax.
As long as it's in the same sort of condition as something being re-registered, then you should be fine

sBoff

Post by sBoff » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:46 am

Thanks Marrow, might just have to get myself a late Christmas present. :) What's the resell issues like with LHD?

marrow

Post by marrow » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:42 am

I'd definitely wait for some other people to chip in though, they might have some good thoughts.
My friend just imported a classic Hakosuka from japan, and didn't seem to have any issues, although he does import things for a living.
Another forum member mentioned looking at bringing a few over at once, you might be able to save on shipping if you could get two in a container.
I think the LHD thing comes down to preference, obviously it means you'll have to sell it to someone who's comfortable owning a LHD, but there's plenty of classic american cars on the market with the same situation.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:08 pm

Upside of LHD, if you do a great resto or the cars go way up in value you can export back to the US for a bigger audience, the classic car market in NZ is small and tight fisted. Get it checked, once ok, try onlinelogistics.co.nz for a all up import quote. They will advise on whether the import quota has been filled for special interest cars for the 12 months.

That car looks very average with a fancy paint job and I would say it will be over $30,000 NZ dollars with GST and freight etc. You can buy a better local car for that money.

sBoff

Post by sBoff » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:27 pm

Thanks Andy, appreciate the feedback. I'll get in touch with onlinelogistics and see what they say.

Can you explain what makes you say the car looks very average to you? I'm not picking up on what you are.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:06 am

sBoff wrote:Can you explain what makes you say the car looks very average to you?
Inside door shuts have been sprayed without hardware removal or masking
Air cleaner resprayed without preparation
Manufacturers labels poorly masked before painting
No signs of any engine work
No shots of underbody and floor (essential for a 240Z buyer and I would have thought an honest company promising 50 photos of each car would have shot of corrosion critical areas)
Wheels appear to have been swapped out before car taken to sale and look like a front wheel drive offset
Front bumper appears poorly repaired and fitted
Dashboard capped, not repaired, there will be a sad cracked dash top under that clunky cap
Gauges, fittings and badges look like they've seen a lot of duty/sun
Newly re-upholstered door cards have both been refitted with popped fittings showing through
End cap missing on upper door trim
Sold As Is!!

Just looks and smells like a quick squirt and run paint up and what some would call a frap job. I would check to see there is not a clear view through to the road under those aftermarket mats. I'm picking with paying for the new paint job they forgot to service and or restore the mechanical parts of the car.

Disappointment ahead under that shiny paint in my opinion, some of the resto guys will have something to add I should imagine.

There is more to observe in the pics but I am sure you are a cautious buyer and can see for yourself that they have worked hard on the cover but forgot to write a book to put inside.

Would be good buying around $12,000-$15,000 NZD landed.

merlin

Post by merlin » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:24 am

I would not even think that car had a fancy paint job. lots of blemishes, swirl marks and orange peel. It looks like it was painted by an amateur in a garage. The gaps don't look too bad though. The only real nice points on it for me are the seats. I would look in NZ AU or Japan for a RHD one before I paid that much. It all comes down to what you consider a nice car is and what you want to pay. I certainly think it is average and over priced. 12-17K $NZ Max for me

sBoff

Post by sBoff » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:06 am

Andy wrote:
sBoff wrote:Can you explain what makes you say the car looks very average to you?
Inside door shuts have been sprayed without hardware removal or masking
Air cleaner resprayed without preparation
Manufacturers labels poorly masked before painting
No signs of any engine work
No shots of underbody and floor (essential for a 240Z buyer and I would have thought an honest company promising 50 photos of each car would have shot of corrosion critical areas)
Wheels appear to have been swapped out before car taken to sale and look like a front wheel drive offset
Front bumper appears poorly repaired and fitted
Dashboard capped, not repaired, there will be a sad cracked dash top under that clunky cap
Gauges, fittings and badges look like they've seen a lot of duty/sun
Newly re-upholstered door cards have both been refitted with popped fittings showing through
End cap missing on upper door trim
Sold As Is!!

Just looks and smells like a quick squirt and run paint up and what some would call a frap job. I would check to see there is not a clear view through to the road under those aftermarket mats. I'm picking with paying for the new paint job they forgot to service and or restore the mechanical parts of the car.

Disappointment ahead under that shiny paint in my opinion, some of the resto guys will have something to add I should imagine.

There is more to observe in the pics but I am sure you are a cautious buyer and can see for yourself that they have worked hard on the cover but forgot to write a book to put inside.

Would be good buying around $12,000-$15,000 NZD landed.
And that is why I asked here :lol: :roll: :wink: Thanks guys.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:42 pm

The value of being on the forum, even better coming along to events, or being a financial member. ;)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

sBoff

Post by sBoff » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:22 pm

Couldnt agree more BRONZEE. All of the above is on the to-do list for 2016 ;)