New Z owner from Christchurch

New to the site? Say hello here!
IanT51

New Z owner from Christchurch

Post by IanT51 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself as I have just joined this fantastic forum, after buying a 2005 Fairlady JDM car in Auckland and driving it home (AWESOME!!). I do not know the variant but it has all the fruit except Brembo brakes.
one non-smoking Japanese owner
6 airbags (one reason I bought it)
heated leather seats
3 cameras
auto headlights
VSC TC
auto
original BOSE system with integrated Jap Sat Nav
aftermarket mags with original spec Yokohama directional tyres.
Interested in preserving the headlights and taillights, by fitting aftermarket, and other mods ( like how to get something useful instead of the Japanese Sat Nav wasting space in the dash and behind the seat) Suggestions??
A couple of questions: There was a change in the headlight in 2005 I think. How would I know which version I have? and would US-sourced aftermarket be OK on RHD roads like NZ and Oz?
Can anyone give advice on what to do with the original Sat Nav Bose set up? Current thinking from me is to rip out the screen and Japanese character buttons and replace with a Navman 7 " touch screen, with AV inputs to run the cameras, with a band expander for the Bose. Any comments and suggestions would be MOST welcome. This is my first Z, and a car I have desired ever since I saw the first 240 Z back in 1970 (I think!). I would be very interested in things to watch out for and things to do to preserve this fantastic car in the immaculate condition it is in now.
Sorry for all the questions. I have read a lot of the forum posts already and the knowledge base of you guys is fantastic. Thanks so much for all the info I have gleaned already.

netrover

Post by netrover » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:50 pm

IanT51 wrote:Hi everyone. Just wanted to introduce myself as I have just joined this fantastic forum, after buying a 2005 Fairlady JDM car in Auckland and driving it home (AWESOME!!). I do not know the variant but it has all the fruit except Brembo brakes.
one non-smoking Japanese owner
6 airbags (one reason I bought it)
heated leather seats
3 cameras
auto headlights
VSC TC
auto
original BOSE system with integrated Jap Sat Nav
aftermarket mags with original spec Yokohama directional tyres.
Interested in preserving the headlights and taillights, by fitting aftermarket, and other mods ( like how to get something useful instead of the Japanese Sat Nav wasting space in the dash and behind the seat) Suggestions??
A couple of questions: There was a change in the headlight in 2005 I think. How would I know which version I have? and would US-sourced aftermarket be OK on RHD roads like NZ and Oz?
Can anyone give advice on what to do with the original Sat Nav Bose set up? Current thinking from me is to rip out the screen and Japanese character buttons and replace with a Navman 7 " touch screen, with AV inputs to run the cameras, with a band expander for the Bose. Any comments and suggestions would be MOST welcome. This is my first Z, and a car I have desired ever since I saw the first 240 Z back in 1970 (I think!). I would be very interested in things to watch out for and things to do to preserve this fantastic car in the immaculate condition it is in now.
Sorry for all the questions. I have read a lot of the forum posts already and the knowledge base of you guys is fantastic. Thanks so much for all the info I have gleaned already.
Welcome to the forum Ian. Post a few interior and exterior pics and I'm sure people will chime in with some ideas.

There are plenty of threads covering all manner of mods. I suggest you spend some time trawling through to get an idea of the options. I have done the plenum spacer and MREV upper plenum replacement for my rev up motor, cat back Stillen exhaust and slotted DBA rotors.

Look forward to seeing you at the next cruise in Christchurch.
35th Anniversary Ultra Yellow 350Z

IanT51

Post by IanT51 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:54 pm

Thanks netrover. I will put up some photos as soon as I get the card in my camera empty of all the other photos I have not processed yet. Lovely looking Z you have. Very distinctive. I am interested in engine mods/tune that would perhaps give better fuel consumption, as I think it has ponies to spare in ordinary use. I will post again soon as I get A into G. Cheers Ian

kirihi
Z Club Member

Post by kirihi » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:40 am

Welcome to the forum Ian. I bet you enjoyed your drive down from Auckland, and I'm sure you weren't disappointed in your choice of car!

With regards to the headlights, the earlier ones have an orange indicator 'strip' along the bottom edge of the headlight, whereas the upgraded ones have 4 orange LED 'dots' in the corner of the headlight. The taillights also changed to LED dots at the same time.

As netrover said, we look forward to meeting you at our next gathering. We're always looking for ideas for a meet-up so, if you have any, let either netrover or myself know.

Enjoy your Z!
Chris
2007 (HR) Magnetic Black 350Z Enthusiast

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:11 pm

Welcome to the forum. The others have beat me to answering your questions. Welcome to zedding, I'm sure you'll enjoy it and being part of the club. :D
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

IanT51

Post by IanT51 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:27 pm

Wow! What a welcome! Better than the one I got when I arrived home in Rolleston, went to the local Warehouse and was followed all the way home (several Km) by a police car...... maybe he was just going my way?
Thanks so much. Will help in the choice of replacement headlights. Are the later ones very different in size? I know they have halogen and then HID options but am just wondering about the fitment of aftermarket lights.
Looking forward to meeting like-minded souls who love these cars.