General natter about Datsun/Nissans
fubarnz

350z few questions newish owner

Post by fubarnz » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:09 am

Hi all,
I have owned my 05 350z for about 7 months now and am enjoying it,
I am the first N.Z owner its done about 126000 ks

!st question
the onboard navigation can I buy a cd rom to make it give an English translation?
I have spoken to Nissan in my area and they say they have never heard of this being able to be done?
anyone know if this is true?
2nd question
everytime I start the car on the navigation screen it comes up with the word in English "pit" with a small spanner picture
does this mean the last service the car was given it wasn't logged onto the cars ecu? as the rest of the words are not in English im not sure?
the car is getting serviced at the end of this month at Nissan so hopefully they can shed some light on this if no one else can?

3rd and last question
The service team at Nissan has shocked me with the news that some of the transmissions in the 350z can cost about $1000 to service :shock: they told me depends on the trans model is there anyway I can tell if I have that trans? before I get the bill of this?
or if other people have heard of this? Or is my Nissan dealer telling me porkies? I was hoping to get it serviced through Nissan as ive only had it a short time and would like it to have a full service if I can.
Thank you people if you can answer any of these questions for me :)

NISMO33

Post by NISMO33 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:44 am

fubarnz wrote:3rd and last question
The service team at Nissan has shocked me with the news that some of the transmissions in the 350z can cost about $1000 to service :shock: they told me depends on the trans model is there anyway I can tell if I have that trans? before I get the bill of this?
or if other people have heard of this? Or is my Nissan dealer telling me porkies? I was hoping to get it serviced through Nissan as ive only had it a short time and would like it to have a full service if I can.
Thank you people if you can answer any of these questions for me :)
Don't know of any 'trans model' apart from Manual transmission or Automatic transmission, which do you have? - is it an automatic car or manual?

I have owned my 350z for just over a year now, and I got my car first serviced at an MTA approved workshop (being under warranty), which only cost me $300, a lot cheaper than a $1000 bill.

I buy my own fluids and parts and only really pay for the labor, as the mechanic said it was fine that I do it this way so long as I bought the right parts for the car I am on my second service since ownership now.

Maybe you could ask what exactly they mean by that $1000 bill, and justify the costs? - The only real reason I'd ever go to official Nissan to get the car worked on would be for diagnostics or electrical otherwise if it's mechanical I find it cheaper to go else where to avoid those big bills unless $$ is not an issue :)

fubarnz

Post by fubarnz » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:26 am

Hey thanks for that
I might just do that look for another mta dealer to go through...We have a heap of options here,
I have an tip-tronic auto in mine
Nice looking car by the way

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:44 am

there is a chap in the these forums who can do the japanesse to english conversion for sat nav. as far as im aware hes the only one in NZ that can do this.
the "spanner" symbol is an indication of "time for maintinance". i have tried to find the website explaining these symbols but cant atm. its set to a certain KM done.

fubarnz

Post by fubarnz » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:27 pm

Cool thanks
Yes the car id due for a service at the end of the month..But il proberly try and get it in in the next week or so
The car yard I bought it off has it noted in the service history book that it was done when I purchased it, But im thinking it was a half-arsed service that was a quick slap up engine oil change and not logged on the ecu that it was done or it could be another service due of the trans as I don't think it has been done,
That's the only reason why I was going to take it to Nissan for its first service as me owning it just to make sure all those things were done properly but im sure an mta service provider could do just as good a job.
It would be great to have the sat-nav in English... if I could one more extra a great car could have

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:36 pm

im not entirely sure if getting a service done will reset the "spanner" icon. the video i watched had it set at a certain interval. possible you have to go into the satnav to change it again. found a similar video to the one i cant find. it may or may not help. looking specifically at the engine oil part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaN05IFaB0k

fubarnz

Post by fubarnz » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:27 pm

Cool im watching it now,
Only problem is all of mine isn't in English
When I take the car for a service soon il ask if they can get rid of it

NISMO33

Post by NISMO33 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:04 pm

refer to this thread that Chris was talking about, about the Sat Nav Japanese to English conversion Sat Nav

fubarnz

Post by fubarnz » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:26 pm

Cheers for that
will do

fubarnz

Post by fubarnz » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:34 pm

But the link supplied has been removed from you tube :(

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:45 pm

If it's a transmission flush, they do suck quite a lot of replacement oil, will look it up in the owners manual a bit later. I think you're wise putting the car in for a service, as you never know the previous owner/dealers idea of a service.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.