Forums forums forums

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
Pest

Forums forums forums

Post by Pest » Sun May 10, 2015 7:53 pm

Hi everyone.

Most of you don't know or care what goes on behind the scenes of a website like this, and that's as it should be. If you are the type who cares about such things, please lend me you attention for a moment.

This site is based on the freely available PHPBB2 software which has been around for donkeys years. It was originally installed by our local Zed encyclopedia, nzeder, but I've long since barged in and taken over. The software has served us well and will continue to do so for a while, but it's day is coming. It has officially been superceded by PHPBB3 and support from the creator has ceased, but we can't upgrade because of all the modifications nzeder and I have made over the years.

So, being a programmer with a little (very little) time on my hands, I've decided to tackle creating a replacement myself. All the programmers in the club reading this right now are shaking their heads in disbelief. Yes, I know. The new site will be different from other generic forums in that it will be aimed specifically at vehicle based clubs.

Ignoring all the reasons I shouldn't do this, lets dive into what I'll need from you.

1) Beta testers.

Once the new site has basic functionality, I'll need some volunteers to log in, use it, try to break it, tell me what could be improved. If you're interested please PM me.

2) Ideas.

Having been on the intertubes for some time now, I have used many and varied online community websites and have a few ideas of what works and what doesn't. I have some grand plans for the new site which I will detail in subsequent posts, but I'd like to start by asking "What's the most important thing a car club discussion forum should have?". Please post your thoughts here, lets get a discussion going so I can design these things in from the beginning rather than retrofitting them later.

Thanks.

Edit:

Things which have come up so far:
  • Garage
  • Event Results
  • PM to groups of people (reinvent email :P)
  • Hosting photos
Last edited by Pest on Mon May 25, 2015 9:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

kiwi303

Post by kiwi303 » Sun May 10, 2015 10:24 pm

For point 2... Go to HybridZ and look at their Garage function.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Sun May 10, 2015 11:04 pm

I know its a tricky one but we dont always see the results of members competing in motorsports events in other parts of the country, unfortunately results are published in different formats and maybe automating it is too much to ask.

So prob not complicated just another forum, if members don't mind patting themselves on the back it would work.

Pest

Post by Pest » Mon May 11, 2015 9:25 am

kiwi303 wrote:For point 2... Go to HybridZ and look at their Garage function.
Yeah, that was one of the features I was considering. In fact it looks like HybridZ has a very similar feature set to the one I want to implement, clearly great minds think alike :P

Can you elaborate on which specific features of the Garage you like/dislike?

Pest

Post by Pest » Tue May 12, 2015 10:39 am

Bump

HasMilk

Post by HasMilk » Tue May 12, 2015 5:44 pm

You're mad. I would never attempt to create my own forum back-end (I'm well aware how big of a task that is), but good luck! As for ideas I don't have any right now, but would be happy to help test when the time comes.
In a long distance relationship with my 260z

Pest

Post by Pest » Thu May 14, 2015 8:53 am

Yep, curayzee :twisted:

asyado

Post by asyado » Mon May 25, 2015 7:23 am

Hi there,

one of the little niggley problems I find, is having to use a secondary web site like photobucket in which to be able to post up photos.

It, for convenience, would be great to post photo's direct and I'm sure most others would agree, for the less technically minded computer web surfers in having a feature like this.

As I have seen many comments in the past of people who are in need of guidance on how to post up their car photo's on this forum site.

I would be a Beta tester, count me in.

Cheers,
Nigel aka asyado
Insanity is only one gear change away!!!

Pest

Post by Pest » Mon May 25, 2015 8:59 am

Yes, that's on the feature list already :)

avi_z33

Post by avi_z33 » Wed May 27, 2015 3:34 pm

This looks like its gonna be a nice project :)

Im a software developer myself, if you need any tips or help ill be more than happy to lend a hand, especially as a beta tester.

Goodluck :D