GPS removal

350Z
harlequin2

Post by harlequin2 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:01 pm

Yes, that's easy enough.
You didn't need to remove the navi unit - if you negotiate the Japanese menus you can find where to just turn it off. You get a Jap. message on the screen for a few seconds when turning on, but after that the screen stays blank and there are no sounds.

350ZST

Post by 350ZST » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:54 am

I may have found a company here in NewZealand to do the conversion that I want.
It's not cheap as it is custom designed and installed, they have already done conversions for the likes of Aston Martin & BMW.
They have said that they can utilise the oem screen, convert it into a touch screen and install navigation and reverse camera.
It will take 3 days and they will collect & deliver the car back.
I'll report back with photo's once the work is complete.

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:58 pm

sounds interesting. look forward to seeing and hearing of your results.

350ZST

Post by 350ZST » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:38 pm

Well the Z has finally gone away for 4 days to have NZ navigation, reversing camera, iPod integration, Bluetooth & 3.5mm aux fitted.
The plan is to leave the vehicle looking original with the Bose system and navigation screen/controller and add the above to the system.
Hope to have the Z back on Saturday morning, so I'll keep you posted with the progress.
This has taken many weeks of research to come up with what hopefully will be the right components to make this happen, fingers crossed that what the supplying company's have told us is true.

350ZST

Post by 350ZST » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:18 am

Just a few hours to go and I'll have my 350Z back with the navigation, reverse camera, bluetooth, usb and aux all fitted. From the conversations I have had with the company fitting it all it hasn't been as straight forward as they first thought, I'll give you a heads up when I have it back and all tested out.

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:20 am

post some photos up when done if ya can.

350ZST

Post by 350ZST » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:19 pm

The work is complete apart from one small modification which requires another small custom made electronic box to be made, this is on order and will hopefully be fitted in the next couple of weeks.
Remember my aim was to keep the Z looking as it is. So basically I have two jobs done.

Multimedia interface:
This is linked into the factory navigation control box behind the drivers seat.
This has given me iGo primo navigation on the original factory 7" screen located above the radio.
also I can play videos, music and display photo's thro it via a usb mass storage device (iPod/Iphone/USB stick)
I also have a reverse/rear view camera which comes on when you select reverse and sends the picture to the navigation 7"screen.
The camera comes as a replacement rego plate light, they have halved the lens and added a camera to the other side, looks really neat. No holes to drill.

Grom-USB3 adapter kit with optional bluetooth & aux extensions.
This plugs into the CD Changer port on the rear of the Bose head unit.
This has given me Bluetooth for hands free phone or music streaming via the Bose head unit and speakers.
I can also play and charge my iPod/Iphone/USB stick to the Bose head unit via a USB lead.
I also have a 3.5mm aux connection to the Bose head unit and a USB charging lead.

You can still use the steering wheel controls to select functions on your iPod/Iphone/USB Stick and also pick up/ reject/ end calls on your phone using the same controls.

The navigation does not come thro the Bose head unit speakers, it has it's own speaker in the dash.
At the moment this does not mute the music when the navigation gives out instructions and this is the electronic box they are working on to be able to do this.

So far so good, I'm happy with the job, did I go down the right route, only time will tell.
I wanted to use the stock screen and navigation controller, I was told on many forums that it couldn't be done and to take it out and throw it away.
Well it came be done, not cheaply I'll admit, but one off projects like this never are.

Sorry no pictures at present, there's really not a lot to see as everything is tucked away behind the plastic apart from a few leads in the rear centre console cubby hole and the navigation screen.

harlequin2

Post by harlequin2 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:59 pm

I'd be very interested to hear what you think of it after using it a bit. Also, who did it and an idea of the damage to the wallet? (might get it done myself)

350ZST

Post by 350ZST » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:54 pm

The company that carried out the work is The Carkit Company, speak to Craig on 0272 123456 or craig@carkit.co.nz
Please mention my name (Alan) or car to him.
If you are ever around Waiuku you are more than welcome to have a look at the set up.
It's heavy on the wallet, far heavier than having a top of the range head unit fitted that would do all the same functions for you, but Craig can discuss that with you, if you want to keep your vehicle as standard then I don't think there is any other way forward.
Unless of course your an electronic whizz that now's all about multimedia interfaces, even then I think the JDM fairlady poses it's own unique problems.
I'll keep you posted how I get on with it over the coming weeks

harlequin2

Post by harlequin2 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:33 pm

Thanks, I'll follow that up.

NISMO33

Post by NISMO33 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:01 pm

No pics along with videos to demonstrate?

I like the factory look, unfortunately I didn't have the 350z version you have to need the modification otherwise, I'd probably be wanting to do the same thing as you did

So all the factory Japanese text etc. is all but gone? Sounds good.

schift

Post by schift » Wed May 06, 2015 12:53 pm

NISMO33 wrote:No pics along with videos to demonstrate?
Keen to see this. I'm looking to upgrade to a 370GT shortly and would want to same thing done.
2002 Nissan Fairlady Z