Duno tune estimate and Gunmetal Z build

350Z
harlequin2

Dyno tune

Post by harlequin2 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:20 pm

Just had mine done - it has headers and a dual exhaust with the MREV2 intake and is producing 192 kw (257 hp) at 6100 rpm and 337 Nm at 4358 rpm at the rear wheels.It was done by D-Tech in Tauranga. I had hoped for a bit more, but that's it. The tuner said it was only producing 165 kw and running very lean before he did it.

schift

Post by schift » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:36 pm

Gunmetal Z wrote:Hey guys quick update results were 291.8hp and 267.3 lbft torque
I'm curious.... is that at the fly or wheels?
2002 Nissan Fairlady Z

harlequin2

Post by harlequin2 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:59 pm

schift wrote:
Gunmetal Z wrote:Hey guys quick update results were 291.8hp and 267.3 lbft torque
I'm curious.... is that at the fly or wheels?
Yes, that is a good question. Mine did about what the Motordyne graphs show - 256 hp - so I'd like to know how to get another 14% without changing cams.

Gunmetal Z

Post by Gunmetal Z » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:56 pm

Its at the wheels, harlequin what year is yours? Mine is the revup engine so it does have 300bhp to start not 287 like non rev up
35th Anniversary Grey 350z - Motordyne TDX2 Shockwave exhaust , JWT popcharger, MREV2 plenum , 5/16 plenum spacer , MD ART pipes, UR Crank pulley, CE28 volk racing wheels

Gunmetal Z

Post by Gunmetal Z » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:16 am

Also very dependent on the type of parts you are buying... Some exhausts even lose power others gain much more then others, I spent a whole lotta money getting the best parts for my z which is what is probably shown in the difference in hp
35th Anniversary Grey 350z - Motordyne TDX2 Shockwave exhaust , JWT popcharger, MREV2 plenum , 5/16 plenum spacer , MD ART pipes, UR Crank pulley, CE28 volk racing wheels

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:49 am

Gunmetal Z wrote:Mine is the revup engine so it does have 300bhp to start not 287 like non rev up
Non rev-up is 276 stock. :wink:
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

harlequin2

Post by harlequin2 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:57 am

Well, the tuners all measure power at the wheels - be a bit of a mission to pull the engine out and then find an engine dynomometer!
And I know people love Horsepower because the numbers are bigger, but unless you are in the US, Kilowatts are more meaningful. So the stock 350 Z,non rev-up was rated at 206 Kw at the flywheel and the rev-up was 221 Kw, also at the flywheel. Up until about 2005, Japanese manufacturers had a sort of de facto limit of 206 Kw to go along with their speed limit of about 180 - 190 kph.
If youread through Motordyne's web site, you will see that the rev-up actually had less power and torque at lower revs, but a higher peak at 6000 - 7000 rpm than the earlier engine. Their graphs show hp (American) at the wheels. So using the conversion of 746 watts = 1 hp you can see that the power at the flywheel is 276 hp for non rev-up and 296 hp for rev-up. Motordyne show a graph for a "Stock 287 hp" engine (287? what about 276 or 296?) which is the non rev-up version giving 244 hp at the wheels, or 182 Kw and then show the increase with their MREV2 plenum spacer.
So assuming that engine is actually 276 hp and not 287, then the transmission losses are 32 hp or 24 Kw. But further on they show curves for thr rev-up engine with and without the MREV2 and 5/16 spacer and these show "stock" at 256 hp (191 Kw) and with the MREV2 up to 264 hp (197 kw). The big gain though, is at lower revs and you can see significantly more power right from about 3600 rpm up, and the torque is up too.
My car is only doing 192 Kw with exhaust headers, a dual exhaust system, high flow cats, the MREV2 lower plenum and 5/16 spacer and that's why I'm a bit disappointed. However, the actual driving performance is way better than it was. It used to pull strongly to about 4500 rpm and then seemed a bit flat to me. It would wind up to 6600 rpm no trouble, but didn't have much "zing". But now it gets to that 4500 rpm mark and then just punches you in the back, getting to 6600 rpm it seems, in a flash! Certainly in 1st it gets there quicker than I can react and change gear and it spins the back wheels on dry tarmac quite easily. All that means I start to wonder about just how accurate dynos are in absolute terms. The tuners don't much care because they are only looking for relative increases, but it does make it hard to do comparisons.
I'm of the opinion too, that the stock exhaust on the 350 Z ain't too bad and you have to spend a lot of money to get anything better. That money would be better put toward a blower of some sort!
BTW, the dyno tuner has also removed the speed limiter. I'm really looking forward to trying it out on the track again! Might go to Hampton Downs next time they have a playday.
As an extra note, the tuner had just done a 370 Z owned by a friend of mine and he said it was giving pretty much the same power. Its stock standard, just tuned.

Here's a link to Motordyne's graphs:
https://www.motordyneengineering.com/im ... _large.jpg

Gunmetal Z

Post by Gunmetal Z » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:28 pm

you asked me how to get more power NA and I told you, if you didn't actually want too know why ask? Yeah I spent alot on my parts but it got results that was before I knew I wanted to FI but now I know I want too I do wish I spent money in that direction, also I've had three dynos now all within 2hp of my 292 number so I'm fairly certain it's accurate? Fair enough if your just wanting to rant but why ask the question?

harlequin2

Post by harlequin2 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:05 pm

I think I must've missed something there. I sure didn't see an answer! BTW, I didn't think I wrote in an angry or emotional manner, so why use the term "rant"?
I certainly am not attacking you or trying to put you down in any way. I merely wished to point out a few things that seem to be generally misunderstood - not neccessarily by you - and to express a couple of opinions of my own. I'm sorry you seem to have taken my expose personally.

schift

Post by schift » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:41 pm

harlequin2 wrote:My car is only doing 192 Kw with exhaust headers, a dual exhaust system, high flow cats, the MREV2 lower plenum and 5/16 spacer and that's why I'm a bit disappointed.
That sucks... I'm getting the same Kw with just an Xforce exhaust, JWT intake and UpRev tune from STM
Gunmetal Z wrote:I've had three dynos now all within 2hp of my 292 number so I'm fairly certain it's accurate
Pretty impressive. Even though it's a rev-up, I would've thought 10-20hp less with those mods. Nice.

I suppose every car and dyno is different!
2002 Nissan Fairlady Z