General natter about Datsun/Nissans
350ZST

Post by 350ZST » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:04 pm

Fitted my new number plates.
350ZST

WraithNZL

Post by WraithNZL » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:40 am

Done a few days ago but only just got back online today. New 18s for my baby :P

Unfortunately also had to get new radial bushings on the front shocks.... damn Christchurch roads.... not friendly to low cars....

Red eyeZ

Post by Red eyeZ » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:39 am

I was going for a cruise and smelt something burning, stopped for a look under the hood and noticed the a/c pump was cooking itself so I got a knife and cut the belt off. Problem solved! For now any way untill I feel like putting another pump on.

350ZST

Post by 350ZST » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:14 pm

Today I added my latest embellishments:
Front and rear black Z badge and 350Z badge.
Stubby carbon aerial.

Sorry but I can't work out how to add the photo's. Why would I want someone to see my entire photo bucket collection ?
Why can't I attach a file ?
I know I'm a pom, but is that a good enough reason ?

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:54 pm

Put new left side window motor in on the 350Z. Window works great now. Going to get a right side motor an install that before it to stops working. For those with 350,s I did the brush cleaning thing on the motors, all I achieved was to put the job of replacing the motor off for 6 months. And once again unable to wind the window back up. Bought OEM parts from the states of ebay for under half the new price in NZ.
Bernie Kant
Club President

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:47 am

Strange that the left side would malfunction before the right side Bernie.
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:39 pm

Yes but remembering that these windows go down every time you raise or lower the roof. So every-time we drop the roof the windows go through at least three cycles. Although I agree, the electric windows in the 260Z are nearly 30 years older have done twice the millage and still working fine. I think something go lost in transition. My guess is the brush's are to soft and losing a lot of carbon. After I changed the motor and although I had already stripped and sanded the brass ring on the armature making it nice and shiny, it was once again completely black.
Bernie Kant
Club President

HasMilk

Post by HasMilk » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:31 pm

More wiring (taking my time), relay is wired up now along with nearly everything else needed.

In a long distance relationship with my 260z

3Hundy

Post by 3Hundy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:47 pm

After growing tired tired of looking at a misaligned glove box (it was too far to the right), I decided straighten it up. Turns out it was easier than I thought it would be. I also removed twists in two of my seat belts. I've only had the car for three weeks and have had little time to work on it with my Mini demanding my attention and also the shorter days, but working on it is fun

HasMilk

Post by HasMilk » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:17 pm

Replaced my strut rod bushes today... in the rain... Of course they were more stubborn to put back in and I spent way longer than I should have. *sigh it's done now and can move on to other bushes :P

OH and yesterday I ordered a clutch kit :twisted: manual conversion here we come!
In a long distance relationship with my 260z

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:02 pm

Today I have attempted to introduce a wee lip to the rally cars spoiler as I have lost count, but have driven over or dragged for some distance at least 4 spoilers. This is 75x6mm nitrile rubber on a widened and shallowed Mike Shaw FG item. Not sure if nitrile is the right product as it does tear reasonably easily, probably should use a reinforced and thinner product. Grateful if anyone has a suggestion or knows a supplier of a better product.

1.5mm steel reinforcing straps behind. Round about 50mm flopping around underneath, I think should be cut to 35mm or it may be self trimming! See what it looks like when its back on the ground, should certainly make getting the trolley jack under less hazardous.
Attachments
IMAG1241[1].jpg
IMAG1241[1].jpg (118.66 KiB) Viewed 6375 times

Old_timer

Post by Old_timer » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:49 pm

Moddy wrote:Went to tonys tyre service in lower hutt to have a blown out tyre replaced. Bought two new expensive bridgestone tyres and an alignment. Was told to come back in 2 hours and it would be done. Told them i had an appointment to go to so it had to be done by then and was told it would be done well before then so no worries. Got back. Finished the job 45mins later. Was late for my appointment (nearly missed it completely). Got home and was dismayed to find they'd only replaced the drivers side tyre. Called them up to discuss returning and having the other replaced. Was basically called a liar by the manager because "My computer says i have 4 tyres and theres only 4 on the shelf so you must have your tyres." At this stage im so angry i dont think i should drop in to speak to the manager for several days at least... except i just got home to discover the old tyre (the one that wasnt replaced) has gone flat too. Dont use tonys tyre service. This is not the first time ive been bitterly disappointed by their service but it is definitely the last.
Was going back through some of the old posts and saw this and it reminded me of something that happened here. A couple of months back I had to get a wheel alignment on the ZX. I decided to take it to Tony's here in Hamilton as it was closest to where I needed to be for some other business. I rang and booked it in and the guy on the phone (in a call centre I think) was very helpful and we agreed on 1:30pm.

I arrived at the correct time and the place was full. I spoke to the guy in the shop who told me it would be a couple of hours at least. I told him I'd booked it in and he just shrugged his shoulders and said they were just busy. I reminded him again and that I had booked it but he was unmoved.

I was pretty pissed off and drove out and went to Budget Tyres. They were the complete opposite, very helpful and although they were a man down in the alignment team they worked on it between times. They even gave me a discount because I'd been mucked about by the opposition.

As an aside my son also went to Tony's for a couple of tyres and it took them about 3 hours to fit them.

Old_timer

Post by Old_timer » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:34 pm

Had a couple of 'car days' so decided to have a look at the fuel tank, as I'm still trying to find the cause of the sudden motor stop.

http://zclub.nz/viewtopic.php?t=5042

So, removed the inspection hatch in the boot, disconnected the power (battery disconnected!) and fuel hoses. Removed the hatch and removed the float and primary filter. The filter was a little bit varnished up so that gave it a bit of a clean. Had a look inside the tank and although there was a little bit of surface rust there was only a couple of rust flakes lying in the bottom. Sucked those up with a length of hose. Reassembled everything and fired it up. The first thing I noticed was that the fuel gauge went straight to zero :(

It was a bit late in the day so swore a bit (actually quite a lot) and decided to top up the power steering fluid and gave the interior a once over.

Next day, back to the fuel tank. Disassembled the tank hatch and hoses again (did I mention they were a pain to work around) and removed the guts. Nothing obviously amiss but rigged up a circuit tester and found that the contact for the fuel level sender wasn't making a circuit through the hatch. Put a drop of solder on it, crossed my fingers and put it all back together... again. Fired it up and, praise The Lord, the fuel gauge worked again.

Went out for a spin and stopped for gas and (bonus repair!) the fuel gauge went all the way to full - something that it has never done in the past. :D

Had a nice drive and then gave her a bonus sudsy wash. So, a bit of frustration and pfaffing about but otherwise not a bad weekend.

Note: With regards the stopping issue, it hasn't actually happened again. Before starting to look at fuel issues I took it to an auto electrician and they weren't able to find any causes. It's gone without any issue since so keeping my fingers crossed.

Buster

Post by Buster » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:12 pm

My JDM 280zx fuel level unit has two floats. One for each range. I assume they are all like this?

Old_timer

Post by Old_timer » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:48 pm

Nah, mine has the single gauge only.