350z Turbo FINISHED! 300rwkw

350Z
350ZEB

350z Turbo FINISHED! 300rwkw

Post by 350ZEB » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:08 am

I started earlier this year on my turbo project. I did a bit of research for what id have to do and ripped into it. I bought the turbo first, a garret ta3410 and begun ripping things out to see where it would fit.

(Sorry about the photo size, i tried to get it so that they were 640x480 but the images wouldnt load, youll probably have to zoom out a little)

I found the best location, while a squeeze, was behind the left headlamp where the factory air box was. So I begun making space, moving the wiring and bending and rerouting all the AC pipes (I didn't want to lose AC) its so tight down that side of the motor that I even had to cut off the posts that hold the heat shields onto the manifold to make room for the downpipe. You really have to see it to understand quite how tight of a fit it is.

I then got to making up the collector assembly. The right hand bank twists straight up and over the gearbox and meets a y pipe from the left hand bank and head up to the front of the car and feeds into the top of the turbo. The downpipe runs below this and the wastegate pipe also fits between them. That means on that side I have the manifold, a 3 inch downpipe, a 1.5 inch wastegate pipe and a 2.5 inch feed pipe, super tight. So tight that once heat wrapped I had to hammer the wastegate pipe between the other two.

I used v-bands where ever possible but had to design a slip joint for the wastegate pipe because I didn't have the space to fit any kind of flange to it.

The rest of the exhaust system is a straight 3 inch with a m&h resonator and dual outlet muffler. It look a bit of time but I managed to keep the factory tips.

For the intake again it was a lot of custom fabrication and welding, its really tight where the turbo dumps into the of guard and then through the front mount intercooler. Comes up where the washer bottle/ coolant reservoir used to be and up across the front of the motor and up to the throttle body, again you have to see it to believe it. I am using a modified Cusco catch can as my coolant reservior and it seems to be working well.

Intake manifold is as standard but had to come off many times to sort out the injectors. I ended up buying the DSR turbo Bosch ev14 1000cc injectors and it idled and tuned well.

I'd say its taken me close to 400 hours to build with many late nights and leaving thinking it just wouldn't fit, but its done! 300rwkw and 561nm of torque, over the moon, certified and ready to go!

Shopping List:
*Garret TA3410 Turbo
*DSR Turbo ev14 1000cc injectors
*HKS style 42mm Wastegate
*HKS SSQ BOV
*UPREV MAF GT Mass air flow sensor
*3 inch Intercooler
*K&N Air Filter
*Custom Cusco coolant reservior
*Custom Oil System
*Custom Crankcase Ventilation Re-circulation
*Remsa Ceramic Brakes all round
*Full custom exhaust system
*Full custom intake system
*UPREV software and tune at SpeedTech Motorsport

ImageImage
Last edited by 350ZEB on Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:04 pm

Cool project. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to seeing your Zed at a meet or track day. :)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

djz

Post by djz » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:02 pm

Good work, out of interest what was the limiting factor preventing it making more power?
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

350ZEB

Post by 350ZEB » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:47 pm

The turbo is nearing the end of its flow. Its also making too much torque for the factory bottom end so need to drop the boost and give it some more timing, might get a few more kW, had to change the wastegate spring, move the MAF and setup the boost controller. Going back to STM on Thursday after its finished at the painters to get the tune tidied up.

350ZEB

Post by 350ZEB » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:44 pm

Final tuneImage

Gunmetal Z

Post by Gunmetal Z » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:49 am

Okay so I'm boosting my Z and was just wondering how much all your parts costed you? Cheers
35th Anniversary Grey 350z - Motordyne TDX2 Shockwave exhaust , JWT popcharger, MREV2 plenum , 5/16 plenum spacer , MD ART pipes, UR Crank pulley, CE28 volk racing wheels

350ZEB

Post by 350ZEB » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:03 pm

All up after some repainting and cert it cost me 10k. Make sure you buy a good quality turbo is my biggest suggestion, the Garret ta3410 is a perfect match and costs less than $1000 from alltech diesel and turbocharger. Be prepared for some long long long long nights of thinking its not going to fit and heat wrap and shield everything! I just did a track day and it gets mighty hot in there even with the vent.

350ZEB

Post by 350ZEB » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:05 pm

Also the 350ZEB will be up for sale soon in the name of hopefully getting an r35 gtr someday, somehow. If anyone is interested text me on 0223432991

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:40 pm

350ZEB wrote:Also the 350ZEB will be up for sale soon in the name of hopefully getting an r35 gtr someday, somehow. If anyone is interested text me on 0223432991
Pop a listing up in the Classifieds with a price on it. :wink:
Next - Z Club events:

350ZEB

Post by 350ZEB » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:35 pm

Thanks Bronzee
http://zclub.nz/viewtopic.php?p=36113#36113

I'm having trouble using the image resizing on the thread, whenever I put them in with a custom display res they don't show up, so sorry about the different res photos on the classifieds thread

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:51 pm

Upload them to a photo host like Photobucket. It should be okay then.
Next - Z Club events: