Leaky Windscreen

350Z
ChrisP

Leaky Windscreen

Post by ChrisP » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:09 pm

Anyone had any problems with leaky windscreen? just above the mirror it started to leak today. was only using the windshield wipers.
Cant find much trolling the web. Dosnt seem like a 350z issue. Probably the seal pulling away.
Any thoughts before i either reseal it or get a replacement screen.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:41 pm

ChrisP wrote:Anyone had any problems with leaky windscreen? just above the mirror it started to leak today. was only using the windshield wipers.
Cant find much trolling the web. Dosnt seem like a 350z issue. Probably the seal pulling away.
Any thoughts before i either reseal it or get a replacement screen.
You do hear of the odd one doing this. I think from memory it's the rubber degrading around the top of the windscreen. So would investigate that.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:01 pm

ok thanks :)

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:39 pm

The windows are bonded in the rubbers are only decorative, You may be able to pull the rubber out and see if you can locate the leak, but it could be tracking along the urethane and coming in elsewhere. Once the rubber is removed it may not go back in. Here is my best guess at your problem. The window has been changed at some stage, to remove a bonded screen you need to cut it out, this will result in damage to the aperture, if this damage is not treated before the replacement screen is fitted it will start rusting, I have seen some really bad screen apertures once the glass is removed. I would suggest that you have the screen removed, and check what is going on behind the glass. If I am right you will be glad you took my advise. If I am wrong it will have cost you a refit, peace of mind that there is no problem and fix the leak at the same time. Unfortunately there are two excepts to this rule. One is that it is not the screen leaking at all, and the water is tracking in from another point and has found that spot to relieve itself. The other is that there is a possibility that the screen will break on removal in which case you will have to replace it. Screen removal is ALL CARE NO RESPONSIBILITY.

Hope that helps.
Bernie Kant
Club President

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:11 pm

ahh thanks for that Bernjean. just came back from car dealer and they gona look at it tommorow. hopefully can get it fixed under warranty. if not, i have a free glass replacement for a year, although it seems extreme, its one of those jobs i would prefer a professional do before i get my novice hands on it.

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:45 pm

talked to dealer about windscreen.
says its not the car to comeback with this problem. unsure what other car was.
blamed the bumpy Christchurch roads, shifting the window enough to break the seal.
but whatever caused it its not under warranty.
did give a solution that involved a rock though :roll:

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:39 pm

ChrisP wrote:talked to dealer about windscreen.
says its not the car to comeback with this problem. unsure what other car was.
blamed the bumpy Christchurch roads, shifting the window enough to break the seal.
but whatever caused it its not under warranty.
did give a solution that involved a rock though :roll:
Call his bluff. He sold you a car that is leaking.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:04 am

it would involve insurance. nothing to do with them.