ConRod spec for L28et

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
B101

ConRod spec for L28et

Post by B101 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:24 am

I have found some L28 H-Beam forged rods on ebay and will ship to NZ for $600. Has anybody used these rods on there build before? I am also trying to find specs for the standardt l28et conrods specs but cant seem to track it down.

Do these specs match up?

* C2C length 130.2mm
* Big end bearing 53mm
* Small end diam 21mm

Is there any other specs i need to find out before i order these rods?

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:33 pm

Yep matches L26/28 standard rod spec. Not used standard rods length in any of the builds I have had done or seen build in the last 10 years - most go for the L24 spec rod and custom JE piston on the top - but then I am talking race engines not your normal hot road build.

B101

Post by B101 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:20 pm

nzeder wrote:Yep matches L26/28 standard rod spec. Not used standard rods length in any of the builds I have had done or seen build in the last 10 years - most go for the L24 spec rod and custom JE piston on the top - but then I am talking race engines not your normal hot road build.
Well i am glad to hear the specs are right. Is there any place in NZ that i could find some good forged dished pistons for my build??

Running L24 rods would suggest that they are using the LD28 crank? I thnk ill stick to stock internal specs for this turbo build. I cant really see the point in getting any more displacement if i will be running over 1 bar of boost. I understand it will have more torque and better response but im sure i can gain that in the head that i purchased off Mike up in Auckland.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:20 pm

Well Tomei made pistons for L24 (Early L20a) rods on L28 cranks - I know as that is what I had in a 3.0 non stroker once ;)

Turbo you don't need the displacement + a larger bore = a weaker bore when turbo'd ie you don't want to run a 3.1L turbo as the walls get a bit thin and if your up the boost = split block. This is not an issue with an Atmo engine.

I know there is place that does dished pistons here in NZ however don't think they are forged slugs. see page 10 here

http://www.bowdenengineparts.co.nz/pdf/pistons.pdf

They list a 3.0mm dish L28 in .040 (40 tho) oversize for $75 each including rings so that 87mm pistons - perfect size for a rebuild

B101

Post by B101 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:57 pm

nzeder wrote:Well Tomei made pistons for L24 (Early L20a) rods on L28 cranks - I know as that is what I had in a 3.0 non stroker once ;)

Turbo you don't need the displacement + a larger bore = a weaker bore when turbo'd ie you don't want to run a 3.1L turbo as the walls get a bit thin and if your up the boost = split block. This is not an issue with an Atmo engine.

I know there is place that does dished pistons here in NZ however don't think they are forged slugs. see page 10 here

http://www.bowdenengineparts.co.nz/pdf/pistons.pdf

They list a 3.0mm dish L28 in .040 (40 tho) oversize for $75 each including rings so that 87mm pistons - perfect size for a rebuild
Hey I don't think I would benefit much from having an extra 200cc.
I might have to get a hold of Chris and ask if they are forged, they don't seem to specify it but it's worth a go.

Would you recommend polishing and heat treating the crank for peace of mind? I'm just thinking of some things that I can do while I have the short block apart.