S30 Z fan saying hi

New to the site? Say hello here!
DeeCee

S30 Z fan saying hi

Post by DeeCee » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:43 pm

Hi all, I'm Dave and I've been lurking for a short while dreaming about S30 Z's recently.

Currently I am on a 6 year 'refresh' of my Toyota Celica ST185, and *fingers crossed, looking to complete by the end of the year.
As you can all understand, projects take time, effort and money, all of which have to be managed with actually having a life sometimes :)

While I am tempted to chase the dream of owning a S30 Z car, I am hesitant on investing/throwing money into a car designed in the late 60's and built in the early 70's.
I love the look and style, but I fear that I will constantly be pushing to get the car up to an acceptable level of looks, drive-ability and performance.

Preliminary research leads me to understand
a) rust issues
b) the aftermarket parts bin is strong for this car e.g. engine swaps, suspension, brake, general performance upgrades, etc
c) community is strong with a lot of knowledge readily available
d) I'll be refreshing everything on the car unless it has been replaced already eg bushes, hoses, etc

Q's;
So any major major issues or quirks that should be considered before I invest more research time?

Also, I was wondering if there were any Wellington based members who could I could catch up with to review/take a test drive of a S30 chassis - be it 240, 260 or 280 variant.
(note - the Celica isn't roadworthy yet so can't do a ride swap - currently rolling chassis as I am currently building wider front guards)

Look forward to talking more.

Cheers
Dave

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:24 am

Welcome, we have everything from standard S30s to highly modified street S30s to dedicated race cars lurking around the Wellington area and I'm sure we could arrange a ride in one or more of them. Actually driving one may be more of a challenge primarily because of insurance restrictions.

You are welcome to join us on our next Wellington event at the end of September and there will probably be at least a couple of S30s there.

Like all 40 year old cars, rust is the major issue to check for although repair panels are available for most of the common problem areas. There are lots of new and used parts available locally and overseas.

I've personally refreshed/restored/rebuilt 2 s30s, one mild and one more modified and happy to share my experience. There is a huge amount of knowledge in the club and everyone is more than happy to share.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:26 am

Welcome to the forum. Definitely a good strong hold of Zed owners in Wellington, and the lower end of the isle. Get yourself along the next meet, best way to get to know everyone and great opportunity to pick up knowledge in person and of course see the lovely old Zeds.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:09 am

Welcome Dave. The S30 is a very simple car mechanicaly, and in the early seventies at the lead in handling and reliability.
Given normal servicing there are no major issues. Simple upgrades to improve lighting are easily achieved. Braking is excellent. They are perhaps a little heavy in the steering, although this does not concern most drivers.
Rust was an issue, but in NZ most rust issues would have been adressed by now, and with modern treatment, and a little care these cars have lasted years longer than the designers ever imagined.

On a side note i have been reading up about the WW2 Willys and Ford Jeeps. Both identicle.
They originally had an expected lifespan of THREE months. Admitedly under battle conditions, but 70 years later there are still many around.

The S30 will be around for many years yet.

Brian.
Last edited by us2 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

DeeCee

Post by DeeCee » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:20 pm

Thanks for the prompt replies all.

Sounds like the meet at the end of September may be a good way to familiarise myself with the S30 and meet up and gain some more knowledge.
As for insurance, I will contact the insurance companies and see if they can arrange temporary cover for test drives.
Understandably I don't want to buy a car I don't like driving. If necessary, I'll put up a bond (limited) to be able to drive an S30.

A couple of ways I can approach entering into Z ownership (hope you don't mind if I share my thoughts)

1) Take old car, do full resto, upgrades, $/time/effort to do it
Adv
- the devil you know, the devil you don't
- it would be built to the expectation levels that I require
- satisfaction of getting it done (i'm a do-er by nature)
-parts availability is high
Dis-adv
- $/time/effort (having spent 6 years with a car off the road, not sure if I can go through this process again)
- I would more than likely want mod cons eg PS, PW, fuel inj etc
- would be bigger project than the Celica (then again, I will be more efficient as I have learnt a lot from the Celica)

2) Buy road going car
Adv
- it goes
- I can just tinker, upgrade as required
- maintenance
Dis-adv
- unknown repairs/service
- it may still have issues
- cost to enter is higher (of course)

3) Buy modern Z, wait for new 240z (2015), buy GT86 or grow up and get a M# or something..
Adv
- it goes
- I can just tinker, upgrade as required
- maintenance
- mod cons
Dis-adv
- cost to enter is higher (of course)
- don't particularly like modern Z's. Have always thought modern Nissan interiors are a bit plain tbh

4) Finish up my Celica, be happy and go buy a house
Adv
- I have a house/equity
- car that works (fingers crossed)
Dis-adv
- Will still keep dreaming of S30, imagining what-if

Hmm.. decisions, decisions

Buster

Post by Buster » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:32 pm

I think the next one is just more of the same sort of.

DeeCee

Post by DeeCee » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:31 pm

Thanks for the article link. Hadn't seen that rendering. Bit of a shame really if that is the case

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:28 pm

Rather appeals to owners of the more modern Zeds though. I wouldn't tip it out of the garage, as long as it was still a V6.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.