A 280Z...

New to the site? Say hello here!
A280Z

A 280Z...

Post by A280Z » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:43 am

Hi

I picked up my 280z a month or so back from down the bottom of the south island. It has a bit of history with the club from what I can gather and was originally Bruce Woolmore's car I think. I found a few pictures in the photo section from 2005 showing the car at a few events.

It hasn't been on the road since some time in 2011 and need a few things tidied up to before it drives again which I am slowly working through. I would love to know some more history about the car if anyone knows anything? From what I can tell it was painted in 05 or 06 by Bruce? Being originally a USDM car it has been converted to RHD but not sure when the conversion was done. It is still running the L28 with a triple carb setup. It runs but a bit rough so work to do there. I am planning an RB conversion and a few other changes which are already underway so with throw up a build thread at some stage soon.

Look forward to hearing if anyone knows or remembers much about the car.

Pest

Post by Pest » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:37 am

Welcome to the forum, I know there are a few members who knew Bruce, I'm sure someone will come up with something.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:38 am

Welcome to the forum. I think Paul had this car for a while. 240z would be able to confirm that for you.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:50 am

This is the champagne coloured 280 coupe. ex USA
I knew Bruce and his car well. It was in very good nick, and went pretty well.
Andy M. used to own it after Bruce Woolmore. :lol:
From Auckland to way down South and back to Auckland again. Cool.
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

A280Z

Post by A280Z » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:01 am

The car is still pretty tidy to be fair. Paint has stood up well. There have been a few small bits of rust I have had to take care of but nothing too major. When I bought it the interior had been removed so that needs to be refitted again and tidied up. The wiring has also been hacked at but I have this pretty much resolved now.

I believe Bruce had the car painted and that it was a Maxima paint code? Would love to find out what that code was...

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:18 am

Take a small part, e.g. one of the engine bay inspection lids, to someone like Smits in East Tamaki, or Colour Works, and they should be able to match paint for you. It could be put in an aerosole can if you dont need much.
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

A280Z

Post by A280Z » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:21 am

Yea that's what I plan to do to allow for some small touch ups. They should be able to get pretty close to the colour fingers crossed.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:46 am

Yes I owned the car briefly after Bruce Woolmore, it (dramatically) exploded its clutch while I had it so it had a new clutch, gearbox, some repairs to corrosion on lower rear of both front guards and we repaired the crushed chassis rails which were preventing it from gaining a warrant. Good luck with the RB conversion! I am sure you will find takers for the old power plant. I have a tip top high horsepower streetable Lynn Rogers dry sumped RB30 with RB26DETT head with beautiful headers here it money is no issue, never fitted to a car only run up on a dyno bench.

A280Z

Post by A280Z » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:00 am

Andy wrote:Yes I owned the car briefly after Bruce Woolmore, it (dramatically) exploded its clutch while I had it so it had a new clutch, gearbox, some repairs to corrosion on lower rear of both front guards and we repaired the crushed chassis rails which were preventing it from gaining a warrant. Good luck with the RB conversion! I am sure you will find takers for the old power plant. I have a tip top high horsepower streetable Lynn Rogers dry sumped RB30 with RB26DETT head with beautiful headers here it money is no issue, never fitted to a car only run up on a dyno bench.
Sounds way out or my league sadly mate! I have an RB25 (internally stock) lined up which will do an ok job. Interesting to hear about the clutch/gearbox.

Thanks for the info, great to learn a bit more about the car.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:11 pm

us2 wrote:Take a small part, e.g. one of the engine bay inspection lids, to someone like Smits in East Tamaki, or Colour Works, and they should be able to match paint for you. It could be put in an aerosole can if you dont need much.
Or Car Colors, if you're on the North Shore or North West. http://www.carcolors.co.nz/
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.