Fairlady fighter for life!

New to the site? Say hello here!
Moddy
Z Club Member

Fairlady fighter for life!

Post by Moddy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:38 am

Hey everybody.

Ive bin lurking on this site for years now (since 2007 i think?) and i thought it was about time i registered and started chatting. I first checked this place out all those years ago when a white '71 240z caught my eye on Trademe going for $3500!! I didnt know how much of a steal that was at the time but i loved the look of it and id always liked Fairladys (albeit the 300zx TT) so i sorted it out and picked it up a week later. Kept it for about 1 1/2 years and flitted around the place during that time but in the end i sold it as i could no longer afford the repairs to keep her on the road, being a student still and all. The guy who bought her was from Auckland and i think he said it was his 3rd (meaning he currently owned 2) fairlady and he seemed pretty chuffed at the time. I dont recall if he was a Zclub member or not but if any of you Aucklanders can remember coming to Wellington to buy a white Z needing a new diff and some rust repairs around that time id say it was probably mine ;)

Anyways, ive regretted the sale since and am finally in a more stable financial position to buy another. If anybody knows of a 2-seater Z car up for grabs im pretty flexible with price. Id love another 240Z but to be honest if its a 2 seater id be happy with a 260, 280, or even a s130 280zx. Ive got an eye on a black 280zx on trademe right now but i havent had a chance to check it out yet and thought id see what the forum has to say first.

Well anyways, im glad to be here again (officially) and ill definitely be joining the club when i acquire my Z so i look forward to meeting you guys. Oh and if anybody in the Palmerston North area is looking for some fabrication work hit me up. I spent 4years as a (highly) qualified TIG welder (mostly stainless but my alloy welding is spot on too) and id love to help out. I love to weld :D Dont have a workshop but ive got plenty of tools and a great welder so smaller/medium size jobs will be a piece of cake. Last job i did was a set of stainless extractors for a mates NA S14 which hes pretty stoked on lol! I love doing it so dont hesitate if you need a hand ;)

Cheers guys.
Moddy

B101

Post by B101 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:47 am

Hey Moddy,
welcome back to the forum and good luck with finding a Z

sounds like you have some handy fab skills, always handy when you have a Z.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:59 pm

Welcome to the forum Moddy! The 280 you're looking as is bound to be known to the club, so I'm sure someone that knows the car will be along shortly.

This one I presume:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-ca ... 660691.htm
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:16 pm

Yep thats the one alright. I guess i was too slow though coz the owner told me someone else is purchasing it this weekend. Im ok with that though as im reeeeeeally keen on a 2 seater anyways, but i know im gonna struggle even to find one for sale >.< i just want my 240z back :'(

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:13 pm

Do you want a doer upper 240, or one where someone has already done the hard yards and the expense.
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:04 pm

Oh a doer upper for sure! Well a relatively standard one at least. I initially had plans to install an S15 rear end i have lying around into a 280zx and do some sort of RB conversion as well but if i can find a 240z instead id love to just start restoring it. The 240Z has been my favourite car since i first laid eyes on it and i just wish to god i still had one. I almost literally punch myself daily for selling it >.< but like i say ill get another one one day. There was a beautiful green one that had a ground up resto somewhere down south about a year ago that they wanted like $35000 for and i reeeeeally wanted to buy it but i just couldnt justify the cost. I know you end up sinking billions into a resto but i just really wanna do it myself ya know?

ZYX

Post by ZYX » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:08 pm

Hmmmm. I am restoring a 2 seater 280zx T top, and have most of a body left over, plus lots of parts. Happy to talk. Send me a PM if you're interested.
My restoration will be finished in time for the next meet. Really. No, REALLY. Maybe......

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:17 pm

Choice man, sounds like it might be a goer. Ive sent you a PM.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:04 am

hmodlik wrote:Oh a doer upper for sure! Well a relatively standard one at least. I initially had plans to install an S15 rear end i have lying around into a 280zx and do some sort of RB conversion as well but if i can find a 240z instead id love to just start restoring it. The 240Z has been my favourite car since i first laid eyes on it and i just wish to god i still had one. I almost literally punch myself daily for selling it >.< but like i say ill get another one one day. There was a beautiful green one that had a ground up resto somewhere down south about a year ago that they wanted like $35000 for and i reeeeeally wanted to buy it but i just couldnt justify the cost. I know you end up sinking billions into a resto but i just really wanna do it myself ya know?
If it was the kermit green one, he would have spent easily twice that on that restoration. Not sure where it ended up though. I must get in contact with him and find out.
Next - Z Club events:

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:46 am

Last heard of the Kermit Green one was that it was still in Invercargill and was for sale on TradeMe a couple of months back. Not sure if it sold.

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:52 pm

Yea i never saw it sell. Well it was only listed as a classified but it seem to just get relisted over and over. It disappeared a couple times and then it would pop up again and get relisted. Id love to meet the owner and see the car in the flesh one day. It truly looked like a beautiful factory restoration.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:03 pm

hmodlik wrote:Yea i never saw it sell. Well it was only listed as a classified but it seem to just get relisted over and over. It disappeared a couple times and then it would pop up again and get relisted. Id love to meet the owner and see the car in the flesh one day. It truly looked like a beautiful factory restoration.
It wasn't quite factory, looked really cool though. Would be good to see pics of it along at a meet somewhere. The guy that built it quite liked enjoyed doing the project, took him a few years.
Next - Z Club events:

Moddy
Z Club Member

Post by Moddy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:58 pm

Oh for sure! Not perfectly factory im sure but it looked pretty damn close. At least he didnt paint it that terrible mustard yellow factory colour some of them came in hahaha. Boy thats godawful haha

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:08 pm

hmodlik wrote:Oh for sure! Not perfectly factory im sure but it looked pretty damn close. At least he didnt paint it that terrible mustard yellow factory colour some of them came in hahaha. Boy thats godawful haha
If you see that in the flesh when nice and new it is not that bad ;)

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:29 pm

I'm sure that was my cars original color. Have seen traces of it.
All Nissans are racecars.