petronix ignition system

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
B101

petronix ignition system

Post by B101 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:54 pm

has anyone put the petronix ignition system in there 240z?

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:52 pm

Yes but I also modified the tacho at the same time and changed coil and bypassed the resistor

B101

Post by B101 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:54 pm

nzeder wrote:Yes but I also modified the tacho at the same time and changed coil and bypassed the resistor
what was wrong with your tacho??

limezed

Post by limezed » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:00 pm

I also have put one in. It takes all of ten minutes from memory.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:18 pm

B101 wrote:
nzeder wrote:Yes but I also modified the tacho at the same time and changed coil and bypassed the resistor
what was wrong with your tacho??
Nothing I just changed from the standard inductive loop (aka + side of the coil) to a new controller board in my tacho to convert to a more common/modern - coil connection.

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:48 pm

The Pertronix nzeder installed is in my car and has performed faultlessly. The rev limiter works a treat too and doesn't drop too much power when you hit the limit.

B101

Post by B101 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:11 pm

I have put it in along with the flamethrower coil but am having a few problems with the car. It sounds smoother at idle but it has no power whatsoever. I can slowly take it up to 2500rpm while driving then it will backfire and spit. Any ideas?

merlin

Post by merlin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:46 pm

Having the same problems with my pertrontix system !! Idles ok but runs like its on 4-5 cylinders and has no oomph. I just can't just get that sweet L series sound that it should have. I replaced all plugs, HT wires, rotor and cap - no such luck. What next??

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:58 pm

Maybe put points back in to see if all is well. If now good then most likely Pertronics ignitor problem. If I remember correctly the module fits only 240Z type dizzy and I had to use one to install in my 260Z. Wasn't happy with result but didn't know if it was advance curves in dizzy or the Pertronic. Ended up getting an electronic Dizzy from 280Z/ZX and that was great.
All Nissans are racecars.

B101

Post by B101 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:27 pm

ZMAD wrote:Maybe put points back in to see if all is well. If now good then most likely Pertronics ignitor problem. If I remember correctly the module fits only 240Z type dizzy and I had to use one to install in my 260Z. Wasn't happy with result but didn't know if it was advance curves in dizzy or the Pertronic. Ended up getting an electronic Dizzy from 280Z/ZX and that was great.
So ive played with it a little and ive got the power back but its only reving up to 4000rpm or there abouts before it starts to cut out and back fire. Does this mean i have to advance my ignition timing dome more???

WA_240z

Post by WA_240z » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:35 pm

I had a lot of issues with my petronix ignition system until i removed the ballast resistor. The issue being caused by the resistance of the flame thrower coil was enough on its own to not burn out the ignition but coupled with the ballast resistor there was to much voltage drop in the system causing poor spark. That coupled with leaving the choke on for too long and fouling the plugs gave me so much grief. I also went a heat range hotter in the plugs but after I rewired the ignition i don't think that was necessary.
LS1 powered R32 Skyline Drift car (NZ)

1971 240z Original (Perth)

B101

Post by B101 » Fri May 10, 2013 3:18 pm

WA_240z wrote:I had a lot of issues with my petronix ignition system until i removed the ballast resistor. The issue being caused by the resistance of the flame thrower coil was enough on its own to not burn out the ignition but coupled with the ballast resistor there was to much voltage drop in the system causing poor spark. That coupled with leaving the choke on for too long and fouling the plugs gave me so much grief. I also went a heat range hotter in the plugs but after I rewired the ignition i don't think that was necessary.
what flame thrower coil are you using with the pertronix? ive got a aftermarket coil on there at the moment and it states that it has to be used with a resistor. still not getting that top end rpm range so im thinking about taking the resistor out and seeing if that helps with the spark at high rpm.

WA_240z

Post by WA_240z » Mon May 13, 2013 2:32 pm

I'll confirm tonight but i think i have a 3ohm resistance coil where i think you can also get a 1.5 ohm one which would require a ballast resistor.
LS1 powered R32 Skyline Drift car (NZ)

1971 240z Original (Perth)

djz

Post by djz » Mon May 13, 2013 8:06 pm

There's a small blurb on the MSA website about coils for the Pertronix systems:

For 240Z's with points, do not use the stock Ballast Resistor with this coil. The Pertronix is a 3 ohm coil, and the 240Z had an original (Coil + Ballast Resistor) resistance of approximately 3 ohms. If you use this coil plus the original Ballast Resistor, you will have around 4.6 ohms of resistance, which will not work properly. If you wish to continue to use your original Ballast Resistor, you can choose the Crane PS20 or PS40 coil in Related Items below, or give us a call to inquire about the available 1.5 ohm PerTronix coil.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

B101

Post by B101 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:35 am

WA_240z wrote:I'll confirm tonight but i think i have a 3ohm resistance coil where i think you can also get a 1.5 ohm one which would require a ballast resistor.
i got a flamethrower coil from one of the members but its 1.5ohms. apparently its for V8s according to this chart http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/flame/coils/chart.aspx

i do still have the ballast resistor but havent hooked up the flamethrower coil. could i still use it? and what would happen if i took the coil out and ran 12v at all times rather than 9v?