Boot keeps opening - help

350Z
Pamana

Boot keeps opening - help

Post by Pamana » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi guys

I have a 2003 350Z that I've loved since xmas. It is not until recent, but yesterday when I remotely unlocked the car (which it did) my boot unlocked also. I thought maybe this was a glitch so I left it. Then today when I was driving I heard my boot open. My remote only consists of lock and unlock buttons for the doors..not the boot so this is all too weird for me.

Please help

Ren

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:16 pm

Welcome to the forum Ren. Pop a post up in the Welcome's and show us a pic of your 350. :wink:

It's not a common issue you're experiencing with the Z.

Is your Z NZ new or an import? Are you still using the stock NATS black key fob (even if aftermarket), maybe the wrong message is being sent to the car? If you are, it may need recoding.

Also when you open the boot by pressing the hidden button, does the latch feel loose, or required double press to open? Does the latch close down properly, can you post a picture of the tailgate closed, as it may help.

There was an issue with many boots rattling, and many have done a jerry rig fix, so possible if this has been done, that maybe something has moved. Would think unusual, but possible.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

DKNWSZX

Post by DKNWSZX » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:27 pm

Try this website maybe it could be of some help a couple of things to try as mentioned.

http://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and ... trunk.html

Regards;

Deano
Good things are worth waiting for, but great things happen at once.

Pamana

Post by Pamana » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:57 am

Hi Guys.

Thanks Bronzee and DKNWSZX. Really appreciate it.

Before I make this confusing, I only have one FOB which I opened to find a little piece not quite in its place. I then secured this piece back into place and closed the FOB. Without checking if this was the Boot problem, I followed the tip from the supplied link by disconnecting the negative lead to the battery for 15mins then reconnect, which resets the BCM? Anyway, it's been an hour without the boot unlocking during tests (fingers crossed) but I cant really tell if it was the FOB or resetting the BCM that caused the problem. Aaargh. :oops:

Then again, it's been only an hour and it could be neither. :) :?

Bronzee - My (Imported Nissan) boot requires a double press of the boot latch for it to fully open. I'm assuming most models have this for safety reasons? And yes, it does have a slight little rattle but nothing out of the ordinary.

Pamana

Post by Pamana » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:37 am

:(
I spoke too soon. It's back. So from what others are suggesting: a) Try a different Fob. b) replace the BCM (any idea how much one of these cost and could I do it myself?) c) check to see if latch is stuck or d) ?

Bronzee, I'll try taking a photo of the tailgate when closed. Is this the arse-end of the car?

Rendell

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:30 am

Pamana wrote:Before I make this confusing, I only have one FOB which I opened to find a little piece not quite in its place. I then secured this piece back into place and closed the FOB. Without checking if this was the Boot problem, I followed the tip from the supplied link by disconnecting the negative lead to the battery for 15mins then reconnect, which resets the BCM? Anyway, it's been an hour without the boot unlocking during tests (fingers crossed) but I cant really tell if it was the FOB or resetting the BCM that caused the problem. Aaargh. :oops:

Then again, it's been only an hour and it could be neither. :) :?

Bronzee - My (Imported Nissan) boot requires a double press of the boot latch for it to fully open. I'm assuming most models have this for safety reasons? And yes, it does have a slight little rattle but nothing out of the ordinary.
Hi Rendell, fingers crossed for you that might have reset things, and putting whatever that little bit secured back in place. If not you may need to do a "pedal dance" as we call it, and this will give you a digit code, then you can trace what it is. Your timing to get the code needs to be accurate to get the code.

If the button needs pressing twice usually means that the gas struts that hold the tailgate/boot up need replacing. Shouldn't really rattle.

Pamana wrote::(
I spoke too soon. It's back. So from what others are suggesting: a) Try a different Fob. b) replace the BCM (any idea how much one of these cost and could I do it myself?) c) check to see if latch is stuck or d) ?

Bronzee, I'll try taking a photo of the tailgate when closed. Is this the arse-end of the car?

Rendell
BCM (Body Control Module) is rather expensive, so I'd exhaust your other options before pursuing this. BCM is one of the big module/circuit boards that runs the car, so depends on your mechanical knowledge.

metalguru (post from My350z), makes sense. Definitely check to make sure that the latch is working correctly. Check as below:

"Default
I had this same problem. It was the hatch release switch (the rubber covered button under the hatch). The switch contacts get stuck in the hatch open position. I just kept pressing the release button, and eventually the contacts in the switch released. If it happens again, I guess I'll have to replace the switch. Hope this helps."

Yes, if you can post a photo of the rear of the car, then we can see if the boot looks like it's lining up properly.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.