Hello fellow Z Car Lovers.

New to the site? Say hello here!
ONERAREZ

Hello fellow Z Car Lovers.

Post by ONERAREZ » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:55 pm

hello there. My Name Is Jim Bowen. I Have been a Z Car owner over 25 yrs. I decided to Finally Restore My 71 Fairlady Z-1 . I have been a ative Cub Member of Z Owners Of Northern California from 1990 -2006. I Have head numerous Titles from Area Cordinator . Tech Cord, V-P and President. I got tired of the B.S that was involved in the politics of the club and were it was going so I stepped back for a few yrs. I now have started a small group of fellow Early Z Car Owners , Five Ten, Roadsters and all other pre 1973 Datsun Owners. We are calling our selves the UNITED DATSUN OWNERS (UNDO ) Club. the reason of contacting your club was , I'm having a very tough time in locating the original european tail lights for my Lady. The originals were changed out due to the D.O.T. Requierments as were the Mirros and front Clear Turn Lenz Covers. I have been able to finde all that but not the rear tail Lights. Do you Have a source for New / Used ones there.
Thank You
ONE Rare Z
Jim

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Hi there Jim and welcome to the forum. Best of luck with the new group. UNDO :lol:

I have a 72 Z which is still running the L24 and we gave it a full body refurb 14 years ago. Still a lot of fun.

Here is a guy who might have some second hand euro tail lights.

I will PM you his email. Click on 'you have messages,' and check your inbox.

Brian.

=
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

ONERAREZ

Post by ONERAREZ » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:32 am

Thanxs Brian for the tip. Do you Know of any one that has built a tall Block Big Bore L-Series motor for theire car among your group. I have built Plenty of Stroker's in the past myself. I am now currently starting to work on a Tall block motor for my Lady. I really prefer to use Stock Nissan Parts For the availabilty of Parts . Just wondering if any one had some SECRETS that were willing to share. I Have my P-90 Head all ported and match ported to intake and exhaust . I have the Block all ready sleeved so i can do a 90mm bore. I came up with a rod and Piston combo but havent done the final math to verify that will work. I was told of another rod i can use but I have not had time to research it further. My induction system is a Red Line Injection system that has a crank ignition pick up, Map sensor that makes it fully Programmable and altitude wont make a diffrence as my Webers have in the past. are the steering racks for our early cars available down there still. I have tried the Canadian clubs and have had no luck. I can possibly rebuild mine but would prefer a new on if pssible

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:20 am

Welcome to the forum. We'd love to see some pics of your Z's when you've got a few more posts. :wink:
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:31 am

Hi Jim, check your PM box. Error in email address.

There are some in the Club who rally and race and have done similar to what you describe with your engine. Diesel crank, bore etc. injection and ignition you describe, or similar.
They will probably hop in here and tell you more than i can.
When you refer to tall block, do you mean a stroker?

So your car is a right hand drive. That must be pretty rare up there.
The chances of getting a new steering rack down here are very slim. Probably nil.
I fitted Subaru power steering a few years back.
Power steering is the way to go as we get older, and solves the rack problem. :lol:

Brian.
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

ONERAREZ

Post by ONERAREZ » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:38 pm

Yes I am using the Diesel Block for the additional deck heigth for the increase ability in the stroke. but the most impressing part of it all it will still b a L- Series Engine Under the Hood. Not a RB, V-8 and such. Because it is not an Early Z Car if here is no L-Series under the Bonnet. I have heard about a con rod that comes in a Motor that was imported to NZ and some other countries, I have to do some further research. My buddy who family owns a Machine shop and do all my work is going to sleeve the block and do all the releaving of oil passages and water passages to the block deck and the relocating of the oil pick up so I can use an external pick up ( dry sump ) that is operated off of the oil pump. ( an old Nissan Comp Part). I plan on having a lot of money in this power plant , in past i have learned spend it once correctly you don't have to spend it twice foolishly. i will probbly have $50,000 into the car when it makes it day view to the world, if all goes as per plan that should be April 2014 at the west coast nationals in Orange Ca , Motor Sport Auto Show. I have been out of the Z seen for the past 6yrs . four months ago when i decided to start my lady restoration i have been making new contacts and discovering old friends and the most of all is the continuing love and passion for our early cars to the present cars. The aftermarket parts for our early cars is awsome these days I plan on having a few of these bolt on's and improvements.

ONERAREZ
jim

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:28 pm

I was going to use/look at using the LD28 block but all my research (including talking to others who have looked closely as the diesel blocks and build engines for living) told me the LD28 just will not take a big bore even with sleeving. I was lead to believe that if you bore the block for a large sleeve it will become to halves before you get to sleeve it. So I only recently took the block to the scrap metal man as having a tall block at 85 or 86mm tops just was not worth it.
76 RS30 260z
70 Mini Cooper S (replica)
Previous
73 RS30 260z track
70 HS30-00016 240z
72 HS30 240z 2.8 track
71 HS30 240z 3.2 road/track
79 HS130 280zx
82 HS130 280zx T top
2x 73 KP710 160JSSS
74 KB210 120Y Coupe
71 510 1600 Deluxe

ONERAREZ

Post by ONERAREZ » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:13 am

I talk to Dave Rebelo her in California ( Rebelo Racing ) and he assured me that if I sleeved it and stay at 89mm it would be fine. My Machine shop will do a test hole on the center two holes and X-Ray the block to see if all the myths and hype are true or not. If so I will have to get a full counter crank, rods and pistons to get the stroke I want., so there is still options hopefully. Dave Rebelo is interested in seeing what i come up. if all else fails a standard L28 with custom bottom end and the fuel injection still should produce some very serious Hp/Torq.
Thanxs, I will be keeping all informed once we start the Machine work.

Thanx for your input

JIM.B
ONERAREZ