Up hill battle

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:45 pm

In my opinion I would not run a coil that requires a ballast resistor with electronic ignition. This way all the circuits have 12v all the time not 12v at cranking and 9v when running. But that is just my opinion.

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:16 pm

The ballast system overcomes the voltage drop while starting by sending the full voltage to a 9V coil briefly. Old cars without this system can struggle to start and nearly do when you realease the key. Starter motors draw huge currents on a cold engine. Its clever thinking really but yes a 12 volt coil simplifies wiring and can easily be fitted, just join wires together when you remove ballast.
All Nissans are racecars.

B101

Post by B101 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:33 pm

ZMAD wrote:The ballast system overcomes the voltage drop while starting by sending the full voltage to a 9V coil briefly. Old cars without this system can struggle to start and nearly do when you realease the key. Starter motors draw huge currents on a cold engine. Its clever thinking really but yes a 12 volt coil simplifies wiring and can easily be fitted, just join wires together when you remove ballast.
i have that flame thrower coil but its 1.5 ohms and im not sure if it requires a ballast resistor.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:50 pm

B101

Post by B101 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:51 pm

ok so i have a coils thats should be used on V8s. . . .

what are the down sides to this?