Reoccurring exhaust manifold leak

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
Pedey

Reoccurring exhaust manifold leak

Post by Pedey » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:16 am

Hi everyone,

So we've been having problems with our headers leaking at the flange of runners 3 and 4. This first occurred the day we picked the car up after purchasing it. I replaced the gasket, then bolted everything together. When we then ripped off all the fuel injection gear to go to carbs, I noticed that the same area was once again blackened, though it hadn't gone right through yet, (mostly because it had only been started once or twice in that time). I replaced the gasket again and the leak has reappeared now that I've driven it a couple of times.

My question is - is there a way of telling what's causing the problem without having to pull the headers right off and take them to someone ie - is it that the manifold flanges are uneven and might need linishing, could it be those horrible sandwhich type bolts that aren't doing a good enough job of holding both the manifolds on? Any suggestions of things to check before I have to pull it all apart once again?

Thanks!

djz

Post by djz » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:44 am

Were the bolts still tight when you've replaced the gaskets? You might want to measure the thickness of both manifold flanges, if there is a difference then the thick washers won't be sitting flat which could cause the nuts to come loose.

The exhaust manifold flange not being flat is the next thing to check.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:13 pm

also get a good gasket - those that have had zed for a long time will not use a gasket without the metal around the exhaust ports - these are ordered from Japan via ST-Hi-Tech in Mt Wellington Soichi Tate is the owner/operator. They come in 2 sized 39mm and 41mm version - we get the 39mm version as if your ports are bigger than 39mm you are one up on most of the race cars putting down lots and lots of HP - you don't need big ports to get big HP - just everything done right = $$.

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:29 pm

Hi

Yep all of the above. Just pull it apart and check the lot. They do not leak generally on road cars if all faces are flat of the same thickness and you use a good gasket. Mine always leaks towards the end of a season on No2. But i dont care certainly cant hear it ! If building / buying extractor / headers for the Z ensure flange is Min 12mm thick. Some of the cheap headers have very thin flanges !

big sam

Post by big sam » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:19 am

I think the twin su manifold flange thickness is around 14mm and the typical header flange 12 mm. I encountered this when fitting some headers recently, my solution was to make some stepped washers to make up the difference, so both nip up with equal force.

Pedey

Post by Pedey » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:57 am

Ok thanks for your advice everyone, appreciate it

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:23 pm

I also made stepped washers when fitting a tripple manifold due to unequal thickness. Scored thick washers, clamped in vice, angle grinded the required amount. Worked sweet.
All Nissans are racecars.