De Haviland Mosquito

General natter about Datsun/Nissans
us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

De Haviland Mosquito

Post by us2 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:13 pm

The Mosquito at Ardmore, and a few other planes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzJewwobCY
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

toycollector10

Post by toycollector10 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:52 pm

I've been following this restoration for some time and have commented on the YouTube videos. What irritates me is that some guy (a know-all) on the end of a microphone/sound system thinks that what he has to say (mostly dribble) takes precedence over the sound (engine noise) of the aircraft speaking for itself. These so called "commentators" should just STFU (Shut The F Up) and go back to the bar.

big sam

Post by big sam » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:49 am

Dam I wish i could have been there... :( I've been sick all week. Even too sick to do any work on the cars !

kirihi
Z Club Member

Post by kirihi » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:01 am

Awesome! I wish I could have got up to Auckland to see (read 'hear') this! Now I'll never get to see/hear her as she's off to the US :-(

Flying our Mossie simulator at work just doesn't quite compare...

Thanks for the video - I did turn it up loud, but it still doesn't sound like 2 Merlins through the speakers!

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:28 am

Thanks for posting that Brian, that is absolutely amazing, isn't great that we have people with the passion to do this sort of stuff. You know it's a bit like us but at a different level. What we could do if we could sink that sort of money into our cars.
I just have to say this guys, was sitting up early this morning, for a sunday at least, as mankind we are able to do some amazing stuff, I have to thank God for our abilities, the motivation and passion he has given us, we don't do all this on our own, the cosmos didn't come into place with some big bang, this is to big and awesome for that, and belive me my great great great great grandfather was not a chimpanzee. Although one would wonder considering some of the total idiots out there. I'm going to church this morning with a renewed heart for mankind. So saw the mosquito thing and went all soppy.
Bernie Kant
Club President

us2
Z Club Member

Post by us2 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:35 am

toycollector10 wrote:I've been following this restoration for some time and have commented on the YouTube videos. What irritates me is that some guy (a know-all) on the end of a microphone/sound system thinks that what he has to say (mostly dribble) takes precedence over the sound (engine noise) of the aircraft speaking for itself. These so called "commentators" should just STFU (Shut The Fuck Up) and go back to the bar.
Thanks Bernie. Have a great day.

Actually the commentators did a great service keeping the crowd informed of the various planes, standing on a tower all day in the hot sun, and what they had to say most of the time was interesting for most people.
The twin engine plane near the end of that vid. is from the late 30's . Didn't get the name but very slow and very vulnerable.

When the owner of the Mosquito, Jerry Yagen, spoke for five minutes you could almost here a pin drop. This guy has something over 50 warbirds in a private collection, but he would not be drawn into saying how many. Just said 'a few'.

At the show in person, I found the commentary completely faded to nothing , in the excitement when that beautiful plane buzzed the huge crowd, and made many passes directly in front of us.
Strange to say it was quite a moving moment when she flashed past for the first time, and there were people wiping a tear away, including me.
What a thrill to see the two de Haviland planes, the Mosquito and the Vampire jet, with less than 10 years between them, flying in formation.

We are all fortunate to have such amazing people in this country that can resurect such a beauty. The owner commended the kiwi wood workers and plane restorers saying such skill has been mainly lost, in the US.

A day I will not forget for some time.

Brian.
!972 240z

maddat1

Post by maddat1 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:49 am

I missed out also.i was at work...

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:03 pm

All friends that went said the noise was fantastic, but with all airshows, extremely busy, but worth it. Would love to have been there.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

submax
Z Club Member

Post by submax » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:46 am

I had a great day, good viewing close up and plenty low fly buys, only trouble was getting stuck in the traffic getting there.

us2
Z Club Member

Post by us2 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:47 pm

I got out there early around 8-45 am so missed a lot of the traffic.

Getting out was a different story though. Wall to wall people and cars.
!972 240z

limezed

Post by limezed » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:06 pm

Was a great day out there. Heaps of british cars to look at.

Saw 'wittsend' driving through whitford on the way back.

Oh there were six Leyland P76's out there. No offence to any owners on the forum, but my word what were they thinking!

Buster

Post by Buster » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:24 pm

limezed wrote:Was a great day out there.

Oh there were six Leyland P76's out there. No offence to any owners on the forum, but my word what were they thinking!
Probably all that are left in NZ now. I remember those from the mid 70s. When they 'devalued' (about 1980) an apprentice I knew bought one of those. The V8 version. Wonder what one is worth now?