Fitting R200 shortnose to 280z

Answer to most of the common technical questions
Jabo

Fitting R200 shortnose to 280z

Post by Jabo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:58 pm

Hi I dont know much about the diffs that came out in the 280s but basicly Ive found a r200 short nose lsd which I would like to put into my 280 but im not sure what would be involved to fit it. what other parts I need if any etc etc any help would be good cheers

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:15 pm

First of it is not easy to install a short nose into were a long nose should be - custom mounts, longer drive shaft etc.

However it is possible to install a short nose centre (with the crown wheel and pinion you keep your long nose one of those) into the long nose and thus taking your open centre to a LSD centre. However is not a bolt in as the shortnose use M12 bolts on the crown wheel and the 280zx long nose is M10 so you need to have spacer made up that will change the holes on the LSD centre from M12 to M10.

Now the tricky bit - axles - what type of LSD did you get and did you get the plug in axles with it. I ask as the half shaft setup is not a straight swap it depends on the LSD centre you got. VLSD - you must have the VLSD plug in axles then we are talking custom half shafts. CLSD - depends on were the short nose come from will depend on the plug ins you can use. Some of the CLSD have the same input spline and size as the 280zx centre = just use your 280zx axles and plugins. However if the centre is say a R32 GTR CLSD these have a larger spline count and shaft size = you have to use the plugins that are for that centre and then again custom half shafts.

Doable yes - easy? depends on the LSD centre you have

Hope this helps
Cheers
Mike

Jabo

Post by Jabo » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:57 pm

Yea that helps heaps. Im a welder farbricator so making a adaptor plate isnt a problem. the diff comes with the half shafts but im not sure what its out of i should be able to find out tho.

Cheers

ultrapulse

Post by ultrapulse » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:21 pm

Hi, Is this a similar setup to convert a std 240 diff over to an LSD?
z32 2+0 tintop manual VG30DETT, Z32 2+0 tintop manual VH52DE(S) (supercharger).

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:38 pm

The diff what input flange does it have - 3 x 2 or 5x1 or the 6x1 mounting type?

ultrapulse

Post by ultrapulse » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:41 pm

I'm not sure yet. i am looking at buying a 240 so was just curious about that swap.
z32 2+0 tintop manual VG30DETT, Z32 2+0 tintop manual VH52DE(S) (supercharger).

wittsend

Post by wittsend » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:24 pm

I have similar queries so rather that starting a new topic I thought I'd post in this one

I have a long nose VLSD sitting in my garage that I wanted to install on my 280zx. It has 5 bolt flanges on the side and I'm not sure what it came from.
After looking around on the net a little bit I've discovered that they can be installed by making custom halfshafts from the Z31 turbo, but I was wondering if the 280zx CV halfshafts can be combined with the 300zxt VLSD diff output 'bells' (for lack of a better description), Looking at part numbers in the fiche catalogues the part numbers of the individual parts of the halfshafts between the 280zx and 300zx are very similar to each other (only one number out) suggesting to me that maybe theres a possiblilty that these parts are the same, they are just numbered differently to distinguish between the two models of car. I realise that that probably isn't the case, But I thought there's that chance and maybe someone can shed some light on it.

If not does anyone know exactly what I'd need to do to install this VLSD? Or would I be better off selling it and getting a CLSD that would take my 280zxs older 4 bolt flange stubs (for the U-joint halfshafts). I only want to install it for the sake of the odd track day. My intention isn't to make a track car outta this.

Any help appreciated

Thanks -Matt
"If it aint broken...."
Pull it apart anyway and find out how it works!

djz

Post by djz » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:17 pm

Mikey has a viscous centre in his car, I believe it involved welding of something?

A guy in the Datsun Club has done a similar thing putting an R200 into a 1600, he got R30 outer CVs and companion flanges (these should be the same as late S130) and had the viscous half shafts resplined to suit the new outer CVs.

Longnose clutch LSDs are still around but are pretty expensive, the last one I saw which I think was out of an R31 went for around the $800 mark which is a bit silly. I bought my Kaaz 2 way for $500 and had it all set up in a longnose housing for $50, it's probably 20 years newer than an R31 diff.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

wittsend

Post by wittsend » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Yeah I've seen guides online that show welding the cv cores to the ends of shafts or something.. Never straight forward is it? Hahaha
"If it aint broken...."
Pull it apart anyway and find out how it works!