using BMW balancer?

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
nzdatman

using BMW balancer?

Post by nzdatman » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:42 pm

Hi guys,
I removed my front pulley today to replace the oil seal and found that the pulley is stuffed. Corrosion where the seal runs and cracked through the keyway. I have heard that a lot of guys run a BMW balancer, what model BMW are they from? I am aware they need adapting but can anybody give me a bit more detail about this mod?
Either that or I will start hunting for another L28e balancer. I see some have three pulleys and some two?

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:41 am

The ones with 3 pulleys are for accessories like aircon and power steering.
All Nissans are racecars.

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:59 pm

Hi

Yes you are correct. Many of us have run a BMW based harmonic balancer. I do have the specific model listed somewhere but am unable to locate it right now, however it is off the bigger 6 cylinder cars 735, 635, 535 etc of mid 90s origin if my memory serves me correctly.
This has been a fantastic balancer system serving us well on race cars for in excess of 15 years. I am stiil running one of the original balancers first bought in to this country from Neil in Melbourne in 1997.
This balancer is freely available at wreckers however it most definitly is not a bolt on arrangement. It involves turning a complete new front hub / v pulley arrangement complete with ignition trigger wheel if required, turning down the BMW balancer turning off the BMW pulleys befor bolting the whole thing together for balancing.
This sounds complex but is reasonably easy for a competent machinist. A balancer of this type will end up costing around $600 complete and would be suitable regardless of whatever you may do in the future regarding engine mods.
Obviously a second hand Datsun balancer is easier, a case of horse for courses, just dont rev an engine with a standard balancer too hard or for too long.

Regards

Anthony

nzdatman

Post by nzdatman » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:27 pm

Hi Anthony, thanks for the reply.
I will look for a BMW balancer to modify. I can make the new pulley section. I take it the BMW balancer uses multi rib belts rather than vee belts? Just hope I get the right model balancer. Are they different to the E30 3 series six cylinder ones?

limezed

Post by limezed » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:54 pm

Has anyone had experience with the ones the MSA sell? http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/10-2138
Price seem right,

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:05 pm

Hi

I will research the correct balancer for you tomorrow. It is not an E30 Balancer
Regards
Anthony

djz

Post by djz » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:37 am

What I was told was "The BMW balancer has 8 bolts holes and was from a 80/90 model engine 6 cylinder 7 and some 5 series I think", the one I got came off a 535i from memory.

How many of the original pulley grooves are you using currently?

Hope Mike doesn't mind me sharing these but this was the adaptor I bought off him. I paid $150 for the pulley, about $60 odd for the balancer off Trademe, spun down the OD on a mates lathe then had it balanced for about $40. I was using it on my S130 with power steering so I had to move the power steering pump back and run one belt.

Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

nzdatman

Post by nzdatman » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:07 pm

hey that's awesome thanks! my pulley has two grooves but the aircon has been removed so only one groove needed. I might start looking on tm for a bmw balancer. Is the diameter of your new pulley smaller than standard to underdrive the pump and alternator? Looks quite small.

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:47 pm

Hi Guys

Yeah that looks similar to the hubs that we have used/made. The Balancer is of a BMW M30 motor which is a 6 clylinder that was used in a lot of different models. E34 5 Series 530,535, E32 7 Series 730,735, 635Csi from 06-87 etc. BMW Part No 11-23-1-722-723.
Last one i got was from BMW wrecker at 11 Manga Rd Silverdale Ray on 021-243-5526.
Good Luck

Regards

Anthony

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi again

I was just checking out Motorsport Autos website. Unless you are hell bent on running a BMW balancer i would be buying the listed race balancer from america.
There is no way in this world you will ever build the BMW setup for the same price. I will always use the BMW setup because i have multiple hubs/balancers etc and have had so much success with them.
I can not comment on the MSA item but the price is great. Maybe someone else has used this part and would like to comment ?

Regards

Anthony

nzdatman

Post by nzdatman » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:30 pm

I just had a look at that MS Auto balancer and tend to agree, wouldn't be viable to build one from scratch economically. If I can find a balancer cheap enough I may have a go as I work in an engineering shop so can make the adaptor boss for nothing except my time. But even then it's marginal. Thanks for that model info Anthony.