Alternator Replacement!!

Answer to most of the common technical questions
Loky

Alternator Replacement!!

Post by Loky » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:25 pm

Ok this forum has been so helpful in the past that I thought I'd see if anyone could advise me as to which alternators will swap out easily with my 79 280zx original mitsi model. Really just need simular power and obviously matching physical attaching points...

Just to confirm the problem is the alternator, Battery drains during any night driving with lights on and a brand new battery only worked for a week or so. Being a bartender and not being able to drive in the dark doesnt really work... And I continue to hold the attention of half the cops between Glendowie and Ellerslie!

Thank you for checking this out and in advance for any advice :)

Lockie

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Should be straight forward for auto electrician to rebuild. Just remove and take to them for quote or if thats not possible take whole car.
All Nissans are racecars.

willythefish

Post by willythefish » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:25 pm

My old mitsi alternator gave up a couple of months ago and the local garage fitted a no brand replacement at $310 it is meant to be 60Amp and has a sticker with RXA052 on it no other marks. So it should not be difficult to source a new one from a autoparts parts supplier.

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:04 pm

Wreckers also stock many alternators that would fit with little to no mods.
All Nissans are racecars.

Stumpy

Post by Stumpy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:42 pm

There is a company up in auckland called pan pacific that does aftermarket starter motors alternators regulators etc. They are good quality and I have used them both working in Auckland and chch. They even do fuel pumps.

Loky

Post by Loky » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:35 am

Hey All

Managed to get a new alternator at trade price for $180 suited to car and bolted straight in with no more than a few oily fingers. Thankfully I can now drive at night with the lights ON!

Thank you all for your help and suggestions :)