When it all goes wrong!

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
ZMAD

When it all goes wrong!

Post by ZMAD » Fri May 27, 2011 11:25 pm

A Subaru i came across while on a mission near Taupo last Summer I think. Technically something went wrong to park on a rock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All Nissans are racecars.

NOSFEDZ32

Post by NOSFEDZ32 » Sun May 29, 2011 6:58 pm

a few weeks ago there was another silver legacy on its roof down cosgrove road..
A few projects on the go....

asyado

Post by asyado » Sun May 29, 2011 7:21 pm

Being a volunteer in the fire service, I see this far to often.
Normally it's a deficiency in power to brain ratio. Here's hoping they are able to still tell the tale.
Nigel aka asyado
Insanity is only one gear change away!!!

kiwi303

Post by kiwi303 » Sun May 29, 2011 8:03 pm

Looking at the passenger side dent, I'd hate to have him as a chauffeur... He'd likely hate my not being around at next payday too...

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Sun May 29, 2011 8:22 pm

Yes,huge dent in passenger side. Wonder what was hit. I took a wrong turn and passed this, then went back the other way stopping to take photos.

asyado

Post by asyado » Mon May 30, 2011 5:29 pm

What's it hit you ask?
Looks to me as if he slid towards that first big rock, passengers side facing it and then it's flip over onto it's roof after impact.
Hopefully the passenger if there was one, didn't have a gearshift imbedded as going by the depression they would have been shifted across sideways nearly over the transmission tunnel, if not further.
I might one day show you the remains of my work van after a head on collision on a blind corner where the other guy was on my side of the road, advanced defensive driving which I have done can never prepare anyone for that situation, my workmate got killed, two weeks shy of his 21st and I spent a year off work, I was half a foot from being toast myself, sobering pic's all the same.

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Mon May 30, 2011 6:24 pm

Yip, thats sounds correct to me. It was a downward slope and had a bend in it. The driver must have taken it too fast at night probably. Your crash experience sounds nasty. Add the pic to this thread if you wish.

asyado

Post by asyado » Mon May 30, 2011 8:33 pm

Hi,
here is some of the photo's taken @ the serious crash investigation units base in Wellington where my work van was kept till the investigation had been completed, no cutting equipment was used on the van, this is how it remained after the impact tore it apart.
If you value your legs, if not your life, never drive or own a van, they offer not protection what so ever in a serious crash as you will see.
I hope I can remember how to upload, it's been awhile since I last posted some pic's.
[hr]
From this side it doesn't look too bad.
[hr]
From here it starts to get graphic, not for younger eyes.
[hr]
Head on view, now it becomes clearer.
[hr]
My workmate never had a chance.
[hr]
Inside view where gas bottles and all other manner of tools were kept in ply shelved racks, it all got ripped out on impact.

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:48 pm

That is very graphic. Sorry about your mate Nigel.
A van is definately not on our shopping list after seeing that.

Brian.
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Mon May 30, 2011 11:43 pm

Now I understand why you were driving the stretched Patrol - did you keep it with the change in jobs?

mike260z

Post by mike260z » Tue May 31, 2011 5:36 pm

Dude that is terrible - im sorry for your workmate too. Guess its good to have an engine or at least bullbars between you and the thing you hit.
74 260z 2+2

asyado

Post by asyado » Tue May 31, 2011 8:22 pm

Hey there,
thanks for the thoughts, I've spent too many days wondering why I'm still here, now I just get on with things and make the most of each day as it's a definite bonus.
My workmate Ern, was one of my boss's son's who was getting practical hours for his mechanical engineering degree in which he had one more year left @ Canterbury.
He was Dux @ his school and near 100% student, such a bloody waste especially if you compare him to the genius of the guy who caused the accident.
Mike, no the limo didn't come with the new job, lol, but I was glad I wasn't paying the fuel bill for it @ the time.
The accident has only served to remind me that there had been lots of things (bucket list if you want to call it that) that I still hadn't completed, the car being one of them.
I had lost count how many times I had said to myself prior to the accident, I'll get started next year, there's always plenty of time to get it done.
Reality says otherwise to me now.
My bucket list is getting smaller by the day now, I ain't got time to wait around for retirement, you never know what is around the next corner.
Nigel aka asyado

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:36 pm

True Nigel! Thanks for sharing that, probably benefits yourself and others who think will never happen and things will be fine. I drive my Nissan van daily and know the limitations and safety hazards. Never a good result when you hit the brakes or take a hit. Anyone else need to get a crash off their chest or share what can happen. Glad your on the right track Nigel.

kiwi303

Post by kiwi303 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:01 pm

Geeze, makes my Mitsi V3000 look imacculate by comparison after I wrote it off.

Going round a corner on the road in from Pirongia to Hamilton via the Templeview route and sneezed... a big explosion of a sneeze, lost control, wheels ontot he grass on the outside of the corner and overcorrected straightening out as the corner straightened and went over the centre and into the ditch on the other side of the road, was a glancing hit and went right front nose corner into the side of the ditch and the whole car swivelled around the impact point and thudded into the ditch with the passenger side into the side of the ditch and the belly on the road side bank. he car had enough momentum left to skid rear first about 20 metres and ended up with the arse end in the hedge, nose in the ditch, with me staring across the road and spitting blood from a cut lip and bleeding nose. The car was a full foot shorter than it left the factory...

The worst I got was a couple of broken bones in my left foot and a bad cut on the bridge of my nose where the steering wheel shoved the bridge of my glasses into the bridge of my nose. Pretty easy off for a 85-90 Km/Hr crash into a ditch with no seat belt.

I've attached a paint pic of pretty much what happened, in the close up bit, you can see how the car hit on a corner and swivelled as it scraped along.

If it had been a flat out head on collision with something instead of scrubbing off the speed and impacts over a fair distance of scraping and jolting, I probably wouldn't be here to post. As it was, with a cut on the outside of the nose, and blood from the inside of the nose, and a cut lip, I had enough blood splattered around that after ringing the boss from the A&E dept to say I'd be late into work, when he sent the office lady around to Waikato Hospital, she nearly fainted when she walked into the A&E cubical where they had me parked on a gurney bed with my foot up waiting for X-Rays...

No pics of the car unfortunately... That was an ex-traffic cop car, from back in the days the traffic cops were a division of their own, not just a part of the regular police, Screw holes in the dash where radios had been mounted, weld spots on the roof where holes had been patched following removal of the lights, little metal tabs behind the grille which would have held horns or sirens, and extra wiring cut off and left when kit was removed. but iapart from be ing THIRSTY for a 3 litre car, it was a hell of a lot of fun to drive, it would accelerate like a rocket, the best front wheel drive I have ever driven for acceleration rates, certainly a lot better than my mums later model Diamante which on paper was lighter and a few more Hp from the same size engine.

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:59 pm

Wicked Sir. Will try avoiding sneezing on corners.