Cleaning engine aluminium

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
Rusty260

Cleaning engine aluminium

Post by Rusty260 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:49 pm

Started cleaning the engine today in preperation for painting

I have been using spray on degreaser from super cheap ( $2.99 a can!) seems to work alright

The aluminium at the front of the block is not coming up too spectacular and I was wondering what other members have used

I tried some aluminium mag wheel cleaner and that seemed to work well on the Head
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1974 260Z Coupe in pieces
1976 260Z Coupe

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:35 pm

Elbow grease and AUTOSOL which is a lite cutting compound - works really well on chrome and does a good job on Alloy but does take a bit of work.

Col

Post by Col » Tue May 10, 2011 4:09 pm

Mag wheel cleaner is based ( usually) on hydroflouric acid.
If you find the right place ,you can buy it as a concentrate.
Mix it up to your own spec, Watch out though it's bad stuff, if too strong and will eat flesh. Use gloves.
It cleans by eating the surface, so use sparingly and wash off to stop reaction.
It can also be used as a soldering flux for stainless sreel.

Col

Post by Col » Tue May 10, 2011 4:10 pm

Mag wheel cleaner is based ( usually) on hydroflouric acid.
Mix it up to your own spec, Watch out though it's bad stuff, if too strong and will eat flesh. Use gloves.
It cleans by eating the surface, so use sparingly and wash off to stop reaction.

mike260z

Post by mike260z » Tue May 10, 2011 7:17 pm

Remember to use eye protection if you are using concentrated acid also
74 260z 2+2

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:36 pm

CRC Carb cleaner, aircon coil cleaner fluid and dishwasher powder all used individually in combination with a small stainless steel wire brush work ok. Heavy oxidation requires acid (excellent in concentrated form) but sometimes leaves dull finish. Follow up with carb cleaner and brush for reasonable clean alloy finish or polish with autosol (not for me)

beta

Post by beta » Wed May 11, 2011 5:56 am

Col wrote:Mag wheel cleaner is based ( usually) on hydroflouric acid.
Be careful with that stuff, it's rated "Dangerous Poison" 10mg-20mg ingested is fatal. Face shield and breathing filter recommended (especially if putting on hot work)

Check this out: www dot tinyurl dot com/3hq37x2 Won't let me make it a clickable link, just replace "dot" with "."

"You must have 5 posts before you can post URL's/Links" :x

240z
Z Club Member

Post by 240z » Wed May 11, 2011 11:35 am

try a steelo pad and jiff

Col

Post by Col » Wed May 11, 2011 10:41 pm

The Phosphouric Acid is only used at 2-5%. , (5% is quite strong) , even the concentrate is not 100%.
From memory the last lot I got was 20%
Yes definitely use protection.

asyado

Post by asyado » Sun May 15, 2011 3:12 pm

Hi all,
yes if that acid is the same stuff I use when I do tig welding to clean the oxidization and tempering after welding then YESSSSSSS be very wary of it, the fumes it gives off would be highly suitable for death row.
If you mistakenly inhale it, you cannot breathe @ ALL and take on the look of a person with a very short life span indeed.
It very quickly burns exposed skin, turns fingernails a vivid YELLOW making you look like you have smoked a thousand cigarette's, lol.
Seriously, give this shit the utmost respect, autosol and abit of elbow grease sounds a much better option to me.
asyado aka Nigel
Insanity is only one gear change away!!!