Are there wiper blades that are better than others?

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
netrover

Are there wiper blades that are better than others?

Post by netrover » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:28 am

Twelve months on from the arrival of the Zed, its quirky yellow wiper blades have just about done their last sweep.

With winter coming on they need to be replaced so I can see where I am going on those dark, wet, glarey headlight nights.

So the question is, what variation is there in wiper blades? I know there are crap tyres and brilliant tyres, but does the same apply to blades?

Oh, and any chance of getting replacement yellow ones??!
35th Anniversary Ultra Yellow 350Z

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:40 pm

Yes what you pay for is what you get, a good set of blades is like a good set of tyres. But keep you window good and clean, I have always used Wurth ones, get them from the rep that comes into work.
Bernie Kant
Club President

netrover

Post by netrover » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:26 pm

bernjean wrote:I have always used Wurth ones, get them from the rep that comes into work.
Thanks Bernie.

Is there anywhere in particular where the Wurth blades are sold? Can't say I've seen them in Repco, or in any service stations.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:19 pm

Just look up wurth in the phone book, we used to buy then in the boxs for our loan cars, Give them a call the can either send you some or tell you where to buy them.
Bernie Kant
Club President

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:01 pm

These ones available from repco/supercheap don't seem to last. Always replacing em.
All Nissans are racecars.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:28 pm

Usually get a good run out of the OEM ones from Nissan too. 8)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

willythefish

Post by willythefish » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:53 pm

I like the coloured ones from repco they are a fashion item, you should change them every year. The blades are only one part. The arms make a big defference.
I change the blades each year and the arm thingy every 2-3yrs. I spend more on gas evry week than I do on wipers in a year

NOSFEDZ32

Post by NOSFEDZ32 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:08 pm

Dont buy the silicon coloured ones from Rip-co or SCA, I use Tridon spec flex-blade types as they last about 2 to 4 seasons, most blades are designed to last 6 to 12 months at the most.

however the cost of the flex-blades are 40 per side.
A few projects on the go....

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:34 pm

Rip-Co is right, only good if you have the trade card. The arms only need replacing if they cause the blades to judder or are broken/rusted. Those crap coloured ones are looks only/bad looks. In Tauranga we suffer from pollen and strong UV which destroys anything rubber as well as the rest of your car.
All Nissans are racecars.

netrover

Post by netrover » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:49 pm

NOSFEDZ32 wrote:Dont buy the silicon coloured ones from Rip-co or SCA, I use Tridon spec flex-blade types as they last about 2 to 4 seasons, most blades are designed to last 6 to 12 months at the most.

Thanks for the information.

Do the flex blades fit on the standard wiper arm, or is a different arm required?

NOSFEDZ32

Post by NOSFEDZ32 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:24 pm

netrover wrote:
NOSFEDZ32 wrote:Dont buy the silicon coloured ones from Rip-co or SCA, I use Tridon spec flex-blade types as they last about 2 to 4 seasons, most blades are designed to last 6 to 12 months at the most.

Thanks for the information.

Do the flex blades fit on the standard wiper arm, or is a different arm required?
You can buy them in the hook which is basic to fit for a demo come into sca manukau and ask for matt...
A few projects on the go....

jaymanson

Post by jaymanson » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:32 pm

ZMAD wrote:Rip-Co is right, only good if you have the trade card. The arms only need replacing if they cause the blades to judder or are broken/rusted. Those crap coloured ones are looks only/bad looks. In Tauranga we suffer from pollen and strong UV which destroys anything rubber as well as the rest of your car.
I learned the hard way with cheap blades on my Z32. Pollen stuck to the windscreen on an exceptionally hot day; I started the car and pushed to wash & wipe - blade stuck as it tried to start moving before any water got to it, wiper arm bent 90 degrees, sprung up, and then scraped a nice arc back down my windscreen. Then it did it again as it's set for a cycle of 2 wipes :evil: :evil: :evil:

I can't prove it, but I have to wonder how much of the blade sticking was due to pollen, and how much was the cheap POS material semi-melting in the sun :?