Rev Counter Mystery

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
ZMAD

Rev Counter Mystery

Post by ZMAD » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:27 am

I removed my 75 260Z rev counter and noticed an extra non factory wire going into the back of it. Being very curious I pulled this thing to bits. From what I can tell, something has been removed(2 wires taped back onto harness with a couple of holes left in rear casing. Also a circuit board was installed inside(the mystery wire went to this). Anyone know of mods that were done to these or know how they should look from factory, pictures great.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All Nissans are racecars.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:07 pm

Looks like at some point some one might have converted this from the factory + tach pickup (uses a loop setup which if the tach fails = no + to the coil = no go on the sparky thing) to a more modern - coil pickup. This little board will be the converter board to drive the tach.

Well that is my guess.

Ricky
Z Club Member

Post by Ricky » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:15 pm

Mike, you are on the money it’s a common mod to the Smiths tach that Nissan copied.
The original tach used a pickup loop to get a signal, this caused many issues and was dropped in the later 260Z.
Jags of the same vintage used the same method and the little circuit board you found was the fix used for Jags.

I have done this mod to my tach with the same board.

Cheers

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:33 am

Totally understand now. Thanks for shedding the light quickly. Can put it all back together(better than it was this time)and explain extra wire to customer.
All Nissans are racecars.