pedal box query

Answer to most of the common technical questions
mobileman

pedal box query

Post by mobileman » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:34 am

Want to convert a 260z auto - to a manual, and after a bit of information about pedal box options.

1) does anyone have a manual pedal for a 260 for sale? (easiest)
2) does a 240 or 280 pedal box bolt into a 260?

I'm sure people have been through this conversion process before, really interested in your feedback in the above options or any others i.e. using a bolt-in wilwood clutch pedal assembly (or others)

Thanks for your time on this

Rusty260

Post by Rusty260 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:59 am

Did you ever get around to doing the conversion?

If so how did it go, any problems?

Advice?
1974 260Z Coupe in pieces
1976 260Z Coupe

mobileman

Post by mobileman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:22 pm

Managed to get all the parts, but haven't done the conversion yet.

Only problem i can see (and its not a big one) is the clutch master cylinder outlet pipe is going to interfere with the accellertor linkage on my 260, but should be able to work around that

There is an excellant article on this gearbox swap on the following link:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/ ... 986.0.html

AussieZed

Post by AussieZed » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:13 am

Hey there,

Yep doing the same thing myself... the tutorial at VicZcar is awesome and a bloke over here reckons he could do it in 3hrs!!

The pedal boxes are the same in an auto or a manual 260z ... you just need to get hold of the clutch and brake pedals and load them into the existing box. 240z pedals will work (as might some other older Datsuns). The 280z and 280zx pedal boxes are apparently different.

Some differences between the manual gearboxes, but 240/260/280z and zx five speeds should all work. Look out for the occasional 4 speeds (they'd work, but why would you??)

You will need the clutch slave and master, but those are cheap new ($100-ish) and you may as well start out fresh. Clutch kits are also pretty cheap, so even though my replacement motor came with a clutch, I will probably start out fresh.

The only problem I have had to date was with the fit of the gearbox into the tunnel. The shifter actually fouls on the front of the hole through the tunnel for the auto shifter. Easily fixed, as there is an area of single skin steel that can be cut out (it's obvious) (remember to rustproof the cut!!).

Linkages and stuff should all clear everything... but there may of course be variation car to car, particularly in NZ where there are more Fairlady's around.

Cheers, Ross

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:54 am

Hi Aussie.Good to have you back. Apparantley the trim around the shifter on the auto can be modified to finish off and hold down the
gearleaver boot. This swap has been done many times. 8)
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.