Look at what my wife did to one of her company cars

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
bernjean
Z Club Member

Look at what my wife did to one of her company cars

Post by bernjean » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:54 pm

Someone slipped through a line of waiting traffic without looking at what was coming up the inside. She ended up T boneing a BMW. Both airbags went of and the two rear windows shattered from the pressure. She is sporting quite a few brusies from her seat belt. It had a self retracting system fitted. The first thing she knew about the crash was when the airbag went of in her face. Car is a write of, which is a pity, was sort of a spare car 2005 with only 32000 k. and very tidy. But a total loss I'm afraid.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bernie Kant
Club President

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:00 pm

Well done Jeanette, great to see symmetry in collisions I hate one sided damage on a car!

mike260z

Post by mike260z » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:45 pm

That is a shame but glad to hear everyone is ok , i have seen a few bad accidents on my travels lately.
74 260z 2+2

nzniggles

Post by nzniggles » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:39 am

It's only a car (a Mitsi at that). As long as the people inside are OK.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:15 am

At least she's ok. Bruises go.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

nzniggles

Post by nzniggles » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:59 pm

What sort of impact speed was that?

kiwi303

Post by kiwi303 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:24 pm

looks like the crumple zones worked :D

But if the airbag overpressure blew the back windows, I wouldn't like to have her ears after that crash! She didn't pop an eardum?

Good to hear it's just bruises, I did similar damage to a ex-cop-car V3000 once after going into a ditch on the way to work, the office lady my boss sent to the hospital to pick me up from the emergency dept nearly fainted when she opened the cubicle curtains and saw me!

I hope you were a bit better off when you saw Jeanette in the aftermath :D

merlin

Post by merlin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:36 pm

It could be worse, She could have hit my Zed!!!

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:51 pm

She thinks she was 40 or 50 kms usure it all happened so quick. The air pressure wasn't a poblem to her. Airbags inflate and deflate in mili seconds. I have seen a demo of airbag go off, and there isn't much to see, its all over so fast.

We weren't able to see if the crumple zones had bent as the front of the car was pushed about 10cm across. The thing that really wrote it of is that it was a NZ new car and weren't able to find enough second hand parts. Just buying the basic bits with out getting into little brackets clips etc, the parts bill was $9000.00 including the airbags. On a job this size you easliy find another $1000.00 in parts once it is stripped. Add another $5000.00 to repair.

Shes fine, and no she had some light scratchs and brusing to her face but not to bad. Its all gone now, just brusing to her tummy and chest from seat belt.

I must say that without airbags the end result could have been quite different. We thank the Lord for watching over her.
Bernie Kant
Club President

minimad

Post by minimad » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:18 pm

I am glad to hear that Jeanette is okay!!!!

I have repaired a few cars that have been in much worse state than the one you picture, but the availability of parts at the right price can be a killer. ( That might be a bad choice of words).

The thing to be happy about is the people involved are okay, cars can be replaced but loved ones cannot!!!!!!!!!!

nzniggles

Post by nzniggles » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:09 am

She thinks she was 40 or 50 kms usure it all happened so quick
Very little damage considering.

We had a van at work hit a car that pulled out in front of the driver. He managed to swerve enough that all of the impact was on the passenger side of the van and the speed had been reduced to 70 kph. Looking at the footwell in the van makes me quite certain that any passenger would have been on crutches for quite some time.

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:47 pm

Yeah only a Mitsubishi, someone esle now will have parts available from the wreckers. How was the BMW? I take it you mean Jeanette slipped through the line of traffic.
All Nissans are racecars.

bernjean
Z Club Member

Post by bernjean » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:21 pm

Three lines of traffic Jeanette was coming up the inside to turn left, the BMW was coming through a gap left by the other cars waiting in the lanes next to hers. She caught the BMW right on the left front wheel and ended up in the left front door. He only had third party insurance.
Bernie Kant
Club President