Triple carbs - vacuum advance?

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
ZEDHOT

Triple carbs - vacuum advance?

Post by ZEDHOT » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:23 pm

A number of people told me that, with a triple carb set-up, I needn't re-attach the vacuum advance on my distributor.
Well, I ignored that advice - and my engin runs a whole lot smoother through the rev range!
(just thought I'd share, in case others have been told the same)[/b]

bruce

Post by bruce » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:13 pm

well Zedhot you have learned more than just a bit about ignition timing - and that is the club has a lot of experts on Zeds; - only some are more expert than others! :wink:

talk to as many as possible, and then believe only what your lap times / dynamometer runs tell you.

Without any other changes, simply disconnecting your vacuum advance will simply lose you power - the Nissan factory didnt put it there for nothing.

HOWEVER just putting triples on the car without any other changes wont do much either, apart from perhaps give you better throttle response by virtue of the triple's (unless you are talking SUs, which is not recommended anyway). Because mods in any one area like carburation normally require mods in others to make it all work together.

In the case of triples, for example, I found that the change that made the biggest difference in my case was upping the compression ratio. I had already put in a mild cam, but the compression mod helped the cam and the carbs work together. multiple mods, you see.

and one of those mods is the re-working of the ignition advance to suit the other mods, which often involves disconnecting the vacuum advance in favour of more static or centrifugal advance. So maybe thats really what those experts were telling you - either that, or they were the bar-stool type of expert! :roll:

read lots of books and you will start to see patterns in the mods, e.g. a mild road tune recommends a certain cam grind, certain timing changes etc. Often, half the fun of owning a Zed is tinkering with it!

cheers

Bruce