Directional Tires

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
Baker93
Z Club Member

Directional Tires

Post by Baker93 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:39 pm

Ever wondered what difference directional tires make to the handling and road holding of your car ?
Well in my case today, with Dot rated Hankook race tires, it would appear absolutely F all !! In fact it could be said they went better !!
I have won 3 from 3 races today with a whole string of some of the best and most consistent lap times I have ever posted around Hampton Downs. All with the two rear tires on the wrong sides of the car. What a muppet !! Now im not for a minute suggesting you try this. Initially I thought it must have been my outstanding driving god like skill, lol but a visit to the Clerk of the Course soon dismissed that theory !! ( the safety car was going to slow !!!)
I think my stars just aligned today regardless of the tires !!! Interesting observation though.

Greensheep
Z Club Member

Post by Greensheep » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:04 pm

The weather was hot and the racing was hot
I saw the second and third race
The second race Baker93 was last away giving a 60second handicap and won the race by 3 car lengths
The third race Baker93 was last away again and gave a 63second handicap and ruined the second place getters day by half a car length by over taking him in the last 50 meters
Fantastic racing well done
Man it was hot :D
It's always a good day when you drive a Z

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:29 pm

Well done Mr Baker, couldn't make it out sorry, will explain next weekend.
Must try the Japanese Classics someday and try and ruin your progress through the field!
I think the directional thing may make a difference in the rain?

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:52 am

No doubt if they had tread on them. These were the Hankooks with just two grooves around the circumference.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:32 pm

Well done on the wins, Mark was filling us in on the news today at Concours. One way to keep the Clerk of the Course on their toes. :wink:
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:40 pm

This showing of excellent form does not bode well for the other competitors at Z Clubtrack day next week. Hopefully you have used up all your talent for the month, or maybe we should protest the 'DOT" but not "WOF" standard tyres :wink:

But serious congrats Anthony.

gman40

Post by gman40 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:52 pm

Just pray for rain and make the right tyre choce and this may happen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcC8Q7F-HCQ

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:07 pm

gman40 wrote:Just pray for rain and make the right tyre choce and this may happen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcC8Q7F-HCQ
Don't even mention the "R" word and Taupo. :wink: :wink: It's going to rain it's self out before the weekend. :D
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:07 pm

mikec(nz) wrote: or maybe we should protest the 'DOT" but not "WOF" standard tyres :wink:
Yes I would like to lodge an early protest with the race committee please. :-)

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:00 pm

I think I'm about to cry !!!

Buster

Post by Buster » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:16 pm

Baker93 wrote:Ever wondered what difference directional tires make to the handling and road holding of your car ?
Well in my case today, with Dot rated Hankook race tires, it would appear absolutely F all !! In fact it could be said they went better !!
I have won 3 from 3 races today with a whole string of some of the best and most consistent lap times I have ever posted around Hampton Downs. All with the two rear tires on the wrong sides of the car.
While I have absolutely no experience, I have read (with pictures) where directional tires are sometimes swapped to the other side
(and run backwards) in dry conditions, if the track is obviously wearing one side way faster than the other - to just get better value from the tires.

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:49 pm

gman40 wrote:Just pray for rain and make the right tyre choce and this may happen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcC8Q7F-HCQ
is that you gman? i was flag marshal on the hairpin on the Sunday. That Z flew in the rain. nobody even close to it.

edit. just read the description of driver. 16 years old. one to watch

gman40

Post by gman40 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:25 pm

ChrisP wrote:
is that you gman? i was flag marshal on the hairpin on the Sunday. That Z flew in the rain. nobody even close to it.

edit. just read the description of driver. 16 years old. one to watch
Thats Miles Cockram I look after him and his car The last 6 races we have had have been in the rain so we new what to do.Next time come find me i am always working on the Cockrams cars or mine.

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:53 pm

will do

stevenewenham
Z Club Member

Post by stevenewenham » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:27 pm

I found exactly the same thing.
When I was racing regularly on Toyo RA1's -predecesor to the R888 for those of you not old enough ,
I would change them side to side,front to back,whatever to get max wear.
No difference in grip or lap times.