Trouble removing Diff

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
Wasral

Trouble removing Diff

Post by Wasral » Tue May 19, 2015 4:12 pm

Hey there,

I am having some difficulties removing my diff (R180 Long-nose I believe) from my 1980 280ZX (S130).
I have had no dramas removing the motor, gearbox and drive-shaft but cant for the life of me figure out how to attack the diff.
I have removed the drive-shaft and unbolted the axles to their hubs but leaving them poking out of the diff as I haven't drained it yet.
I got the rubber bushing off but in my haste I seem to have rather gruesomely buggered it so if anyone has a spare I am looking :)
It looks like I have to remove either the entire subframe or drain and remove the fuel tank :O . Anyways .. Think its best if I let the photos explain the rest ;)

as always any help is greatly appreciated xD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980 280ZX, 350 Chev + W55 Supra manual (purple)

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Tue May 19, 2015 5:18 pm

Hiya, attached a edited parts catalogue pdf of the subframe which may help, looks like there's some bolts up on the nose somewhere on the S130.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

djz

Post by djz » Wed May 20, 2015 6:56 am

Yup, you can see the bolts in the last picture, there are 4 of them going up through the subframe with the nuts on the top of the diff, one/two might have an exhaust mount hanging off them depending on how original your car is. Usually to get the rear mount off without wrecking it you need to drop the crossmember down slightly or the way the manual shows (I think) is to remove the fuel tank and unbolt the stud that the mount goes on to which just seems silly.

You should be able to get the diff out from where it is now without dropping the crossmember, but you can drop it slightly to give a bit more room, you don't have to undo the crossmember mounts all the way. Also because it's an R180 you can undo the bolts in the flanges where the axles connect to the diff to remove the axles themselves, this will give you a bit more wiggle room/space.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

Wasral

Post by Wasral » Fri May 22, 2015 4:35 pm

Hey Guys, cheers for the replies.

DJ, the 4 bolts that bolt the nose section to the subframe have already been removed in the pic.
It looks like I am going to have to remove the fuel tank or drop the subframe down a bit.. I don't know how savvy I will be at that haha.

Its the purple V8 fairlady that caught fire on the Datsun Cruise to Colgate in Feb that I am working on.
Sadly I sold the white lady to fund other adventures.
You free at all this weekend Daniel :D

Wasral

Post by Wasral » Fri May 22, 2015 4:43 pm

Also, has anyone got a decent rear mount with the rubber still intact lol..
Or know where to get one, or is it even possible to fix mine?

djz

Post by djz » Fri May 22, 2015 5:06 pm

I've got a spare mount you can have, I can drop it around tomorrow sometime?
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

Wasral

Post by Wasral » Fri May 22, 2015 5:34 pm

Bloody legend! Ill msg you my address :lol:

HasMilk

Post by HasMilk » Fri May 22, 2015 9:37 pm

Dang, reminds me of when I was trying to remove the LSD from my parts car.. I never got it out :( She's in scrap heaven now..
In a long distance relationship with my 260z

Wasral

Post by Wasral » Sat May 23, 2015 9:12 am

Hey Daniel,

I'm not sure if my PM to you is sending or not? I don't actually think it is.. would it be wise to post my address here lol?

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP » Sat May 23, 2015 11:39 am

never post an address/ph public anywhere on net unless you willing to risk it. for me, i wouldnt.

gman40

Post by gman40 » Sat May 23, 2015 12:41 pm

I have three rear end as well if you need anything.