R30 skyline diff/shafts into a s130

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
Doc_S130

R30 skyline diff/shafts into a s130

Post by Doc_S130 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:57 pm

So I have some play on my u-joints and possibly on the diff itself too, and I'm wondering if it is a straight bolt in conversion to go to a r30 diff and cv shafts, aside from the moustach bar that will be swapped out for the 280zx diff mounting, or perhaps the entire rear diff cover.

It looks fairly similar, but I would like to get confirmation. The diff is from the l28 skyline 'gtx' as they were sold over here. Ratio is also 3.7 FD.

Or can I simply put cv shafts into my existing s130 r200 diff?

Doc_S130

Post by Doc_S130 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:09 am

So I pulled m diff cover off and discovered this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hdz3Ro6Ol4k

Decided to get a new diff. Found a complete r200 open diff with cv shafts from a r30 skyline gtx with l28. I also got the axle bits that bolt to the outer cv and goes into the wheel side.

I'd love to just bolt it all in, but I suspect these cv shafts are longer than the zx's u-joint shafts. Can anyone confirm what the right cv length should be to work? I've read so much about long shafts and short shafts but there is no definitive Info or lengths.

djz

Post by djz » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:17 am

Should work fine as long as you have the matching companion flanges. If you do need to shorten them you might be able to flip the bearing cage inside the outer CVs.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

gman40

Post by gman40 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:37 pm

Wont the spline on the on the r30 axle be larger than the 280zx and the flange that bolt to it a lot longer?

djz

Post by djz » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:18 pm

The diff end spline is the same, the stub axle spline should be the same unless they came from a DR30, but he's got the matching stub axles anyway so he could change them if required.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

Doc_S130

Post by Doc_S130 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:25 pm

Hey guys,

Yeah I do have the 6 bolt flanges that bolt onto the outer CV and go into the wheelhub as well. In fact, I even have the rear lower control arms. When I have some time I will compare them to the ZX's LCAs. If they are wider I may be tempted to install them in order to run the CV shafts. Will the wider track at the rear cause any issues in such a case?

It's all from a DR30 skyline coupe. The shafts really do look longer than the ZX ujoint shafts but I'll confirm when I've removed the ujoint shafts tomorrow or so. I suspect that the CV shafts won't just bolt right in. The shafts seem to me similar to what people refer to as the Z31 n/a shafts.

For now, I think I'm just going to use the new diff, with the ujoint output shafts (the section that goes into the diff) and then run the std ujoint shafts. Seems like the easiest solution. I need to get the car back together this week as I'm moving house next week. Will mess with the suspension again later on... Maybe find a VLSD housing from a short nose R200 for the broken diff and then get matching shafts for it.

Doc_S130

Post by Doc_S130 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:46 am

Update......its in. Slight differences in the housing but the axles/flanges slipped right in and it bolted right up.

However, I noticed they look different at the spider gears. The new diff has something there that the old one didn't. What is it?

]Image

Old

New