Clutch problem

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
netrover

Clutch problem

Post by netrover » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:28 am

Driving home the other day on a very hot Canterbury day, after about 30 minutes the clutch pedal dropped about 5 to 10 cm, and the bite was happening only when the pedal was very close to the floor rather than very close to the top. The pedal sometimes did not return to the top of its travel after being depressed.

This has happened a few times before over a couple of years, and sometimes returns to normal as I am driving, or at the latest the next morning when I go to work again. Then it may not happen again for months and everything appears normal.

Can anyone diagnose the problem and how to fix it?
35th Anniversary Ultra Yellow 350Z

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:22 pm

Buster wrote:Clutch slave on the HRs is inside the bell housing and heat is the basic issue when driven hard. Had the clutch pedal go to the floor and stay there mid afternoon on my first track day. When cooled it was good again. I just replaced the fluid with a high temp variety and haven't had a repeat. There are various aftermarket fixes for the slave but they all involve gearbox removal. Some also replace the line with braided and then heat shield as well.

On the DE the slave is external and doesn't especially give trouble as far as I am aware.
this is what buster said when i asked a few months back. might be a first step into helping problem.

Buster

Post by Buster » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:29 pm

If the fluid has never been replaced (while you've had the car) I'd completely bleed/replace that in the first instance. 250ml bottle of brake fluid should be plenty for just the clutch. Use it all (i.e. don't bother saving any left over for another day).

For road use (even spirited) I'd just use normal stuff and replace every 2 - 3 years when you replace the brake fluid.

netrover

Post by netrover » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:42 am

ChrisP wrote:
Buster wrote:Clutch slave on the HRs is inside the bell housing and heat is the basic issue when driven hard. Had the clutch pedal go to the floor and stay there mid afternoon on my first track day. When cooled it was good again. I just replaced the fluid with a high temp variety and haven't had a repeat. There are various aftermarket fixes for the slave but they all involve gearbox removal. Some also replace the line with braided and then heat shield as well.

On the DE the slave is external and doesn't especially give trouble as far as I am aware.
this is what buster said when i asked a few months back. might be a first step into helping problem.
Thanks Chris. Sounds like this could be the answer.

netrover

Post by netrover » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:45 am

Buster wrote:If the fluid has never been replaced (while you've had the car) I'd completely bleed/replace that in the first instance. 250ml bottle of brake fluid should be plenty for just the clutch. Use it all (i.e. don't bother saving any left over for another day).

For road use (even spirited) I'd just use normal stuff and replace every 2 - 3 years when you replace the brake fluid.
Thanks Buster. Had all fluids replaced when I bought the car about 5 years ago. Not sure if the clutch fluid has been replaced since then during normal servicing - doesn't sound like it. Due for a service very soon so will get it done then.