Best Radar Detector/Laser Jammer NZ

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
350GT

Best Radar Detector/Laser Jammer NZ

Post by 350GT » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:38 pm

Alrighty so in the states on my Evo8 i had a K40 Calibre Radar/Laser Jammer, which worked FLAWLESSLY, unfortunately i sold it with the car. It looked like a license plate frame and was perfectly hidden with controls in the cabin. Are there any other viable options here that are proven to work? (K40 would pay first speeding ticket)

Skiwi

Post by Skiwi » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:19 am

Old thread dredge I know, but...

Jammers are illegal in NZ and carry hefty fines for their use. My advice, just don't go there.

Detectors are of limited use IMHO, those that are advertised as being able to detect laser are a sales beat up, by the time you here the beep you have been snapped as laser is typically "momentary on" so there is nothing to detect until its too late.

For the other bands they are mildly useful in town if you can learn to differentiate between the false alarms from the ever increasing electronic clutter prevalent in our cities.

They are more useful on the open road (genuinely saved me twice in 10 odd years), however nothing beats a keen par of eyes, a big dollop of common sense and local driving experience.

mikec(nz)
Z Club Member

Post by mikec(nz) » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:37 pm

Jammers are illegal in NZ and carry hefty fines for their use
My understanding when I looked into it a few years ago, was they were illegal unless you registered them, as it was offence to have a device that transmitted without a licence. But I thought the fine for not registering was $40. Maybe it has changed in the past few years. I know the Aussie rules are pretty draconion.

Love my Valentine radar detector, you can turn off a band so it does not go off with every auto door, but this means it wont pick up speed cameras, but it hardly ever gave enough warning for those. But great at detecting radar. Laser - detects it only if the cars in front are being targetting, if you are the first in line then lets you know that you have been snapped, but tough as I am sure the officer will also let you know :). Neon lights would set it off too. But otherwise great.