3M Paint Protection Film

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
bluefish

3M Paint Protection Film

Post by bluefish » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:12 pm

Hi Z owners,

I have a z34 and the paint is quite thin on these (meaning they are super susceptible to stone chips). Pretty much every time I drive the Z I end up with stone chips.

I've been looking into paint protection film and I've had a quote for $995.00+GST to fit Z34 computer cut Paint Protection film to the Bonnet Protector, Front Bumper, and Wing Mirror. According to the installer, they use "optically clear, non-yellowing, scratch resistant, and high gloss, polyurethane paint protection films".

Has anyone had the front of their car covered with Paint Protection Film? Be curious to know what people think.

Cheers,

J

kirihi
Z Club Member

Post by kirihi » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:24 pm

Hi there,

I have it on my Z; the front end, including the front quarter of the bonnet, is covered, but not the wing mirrors. It's great stuff so far (been on the Z for at least the 2.5 years I've had the car) and it's easy to clean. It looks OK - obviously not as good as the non-covered paint work, but it does protect the paint well (yes, the paint is thin!) and it's easy to clean. No sign of yellowing, but could be hard to tell on black. I'm not sure what it will be like to take off if/when I have to.

If you've got the $$, I'd recommend it on Nissan's pathetically thin paint.

Chris
2007 (HR) Magnetic Black 350Z Enthusiast

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:39 pm

One of the guys had this lovely stuff :? on his black 35th Anniversary. 350's are same as it's newer brother, very skinny paint. I won't scare you with the actual microns. Anyway, he had endless problems with the cover, as you can't treat like paint, he had baked in bugs from a number of long trips.

kirihi wrote:If you've got the $$, I'd recommend it on Nissan's pathetically thin paint.
Most Jap cars have fairly thin paint, only when you start paying European prices does the paint get a bit thicker.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Gunmetal Z

Post by Gunmetal Z » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:31 pm

Custom paint!! Doooooo itttt!!! :D
35th Anniversary Grey 350z - Motordyne TDX2 Shockwave exhaust , JWT popcharger, MREV2 plenum , 5/16 plenum spacer , MD ART pipes, UR Crank pulley, CE28 volk racing wheels