Random Electronic Switch

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
ChrisP

Random Electronic Switch

Post by ChrisP » Sat May 17, 2014 4:50 pm

I have a random button/switch that i can't work out what it is for. Looked on Google with many variations on the search words used.
Have been to various electricians,sound stores, mechanics and short of ripping the dash apart to trace the wires, there has been no definite answer.
will upload a photo but they didn't come out to well. will try take a better one with a decent camera when i can.
The Switch is
A man cut in half diagonally with the top half white and the bottom half black.
There is what looks like to be a small round plug underneath it.
Have tested Headlights, looked for signs of Neons, alarm, reversible number plates :lol: but no winner yet.
Help would be appreciated.

It is to the right of the steering wheel near the VDC button.
On a 2007 350z Track Spec.
There are Defi gauges in car but this button does not affect them.

Hope this is right spot to post this. if not feel free to move it to appropriate location.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Sat May 17, 2014 6:07 pm

I have a push button switch in my center console, when my headlights are on and I press it lights come on under my seats. I also have an aftermarket auto headlight switch on my dash. Could it be a speed cut removal?

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP » Sat May 17, 2014 6:12 pm

checked all lighting and nothing special comes on with switch in either position.
unsure what u mean by speed cut removal. tested at Ruapuna raceway and went past 190km.
do u mean speed limiter.
Last edited by ChrisP on Sat May 17, 2014 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Sat May 17, 2014 6:17 pm

Yes

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Sat May 17, 2014 6:19 pm

Could also be a full bypass of vdc

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP » Sat May 17, 2014 6:21 pm

just did a quick search. for some reason i thought limit was 180. not sure why. turns out its 250. not sure why i thought 180.
its a possibility i guess. what would the reason be for having a switch for it though. looks like the engine has had no modifications that are visible to the eye.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Sat May 17, 2014 6:24 pm

ChrisP wrote:just did a quick search. for some reason i thought limit was 180. not sure why. turns out its 250. not sure why i thought 180.
its a possibility i guess. what would the reason be for having a switch for it though. looks like the engine has had no modifications that are visible to the eye.
Limiter on the import is 180km, unless it's de-limited.

It could also be tied in with motorways over there. All sorts of weird things coming through on the Jap ones.
Last edited by BRONZEE on Sat May 17, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

ChrisP

Post by ChrisP » Sat May 17, 2014 6:27 pm

haha
i think i learn something new 180 limit, do some more research 250 limit and come back to 180 :)

laughing in frustration but its fun learning and getting it wrong/right/testing.

i have a tollbooth card slot aswell so if we get the tunnel toll booths again im sorted.

Skiwi

Post by Skiwi » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:28 pm

ChrisP wrote:I have a random button/switch that i can't work out what it is for. Looked on Google with many variations on the search words used.
Have been to various electricians,sound stores, mechanics and short of ripping the dash apart to trace the wires, there has been no definite answer.
will upload a photo but they didn't come out to well. will try take a better one with a decent camera when i can.
The Switch is
A man cut in half diagonally with the top half white and the bottom half black.
There is what looks like to be a small round plug underneath it.
Have tested Headlights, looked for signs of Neons, alarm, reversible number plates :lol: but no winner yet.
Help would be appreciated.

It is to the right of the steering wheel near the VDC button.
On a 2007 350z Track Spec.
There are Defi gauges in car but this button does not affect them.

Hope this is right spot to post this. if not feel free to move it to appropriate location.
I have the same switch and plug on my 2004 enthusiast, and sorry I don't know what they are either.

On my list of things to try and eliminate are:
Whether it enable/disable the mirror tilt when you select reverse
Interior light switch off delay
Immobilizer
some sort of aftermarket alarm.

Skiwi

Post by Skiwi » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:25 pm

I can confirm on my vehicle it enables/disables the side mirror "tilt on reverse" feature

Cheers
Skiwi