Oil pump

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
chris'ntrish

Oil pump

Post by chris'ntrish » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:44 pm

Having bought Andy's sway bar a while ago (days before before my diff started spitting out bits of washer, etc, etc. I need advice on the issue of an oil pump which virtually sits on the existing stock bar and consequently is likely to be impossible with the thicker bar. Gather there may be two different oil pumps on 280 motors .. yes/no? If so .. help with a pump, part or solution appreciated.

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:21 am

Hi
All L Series oil pumps are the same external size. It is impossible for the bar (regardless of size) to be any closer to the oil pump. Unless of course your chassis rails are higher than stock, (possible but unlikely) or your engine lower (again unlikely as it hits the cross member), or the entire cross member has been spaced down ! (this is possible and i've seen it), or finally the bar has been bent completely wrong. If you would like me to have a look I am more than happy to pop around.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:16 am

Anthony, I know you are more experienced and better looking than me but there are two types of lower plates for those oil pumps, I can show you the type that interferes with many 240z sway bars. The pump bodies are all the same. I believe the pump that I had that interfered with the bar was from a 280ZX parts book. The bar is from MSA, unmodified and for an S30. NZeder may be able to shed some light on the identity of the pump. The offending pump uses a longer bolt or bolts than the compliant pump and has a deeper end plate.

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:19 pm

Well I stand corrected ! You learn something every day ! Yes I would be most interested in seeing it.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:32 pm

Sorry Chris, not much help with part numbers but there must be someone here can supply the correct pump or just end plate if your existing pump body and rotor are good. I must photo the two end plates sometime as I have had this conversation before.

chris'ntrish

Post by chris'ntrish » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:00 pm

Thanks Andy and Anthony; now who is there out there lurking who has a collection of bits and pieces littering their garage shelves .. including an oil pump or three? ..any options or suggestions welcomed. Then I'll be ready to take up your offer Anthony to cast an eye over it at some stage and a suggestion for part two of the equation; fitting the bigger bar and how to manage that with either the same nolathane bushes and mounts or am I looking at bushes which will give the thicker bar more space?

Why is life never simple? Taupo never happened as the result of a half a thrust washer and a debris of metal paste which appeared on the diff plug while doing a check ...bugger!!

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:04 am

I have several oil pumps here, including a brand new one. Most are of the large impeller (turbo style) They new pump that is here is the last one of 3 I brought in from the US 18 months ago. It is boxed with the following markings.
Paraut Oil Pump V4-016 Ref No 15010-S8000 280ZX (w/Turbo.std. Trans) Year 81-83 Made in Japan.
Give me a call or pop in you are welcome to try the pumps I have. I have been using these pumps for ever in the race car. BTW I no longer need this spare new pump I think they were around $85 USD