Keeping the speedometer correct

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
B101

Keeping the speedometer correct

Post by B101 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:01 pm

After installing the 2way in 240z along with a R180 4.3 ratio diff my speedo is out since the cog in the trans was for the a 3.9 geared diff ( white, 19 toothed cog?)

I think the one i am looking for is the Purple 21 tooth cog for a 4.3 ratio diff? any ideas where i might be able to find these cogs?

I could be far from the truth since this information was gathered from an American site haha.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:46 pm

Nissan....

djz

Post by djz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:04 pm

I've possibly got one, I'll try and remember to have a look later. The R31 I took my LSD out of had a 4.375 diff.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:09 pm

Just remember it'll never be accurate if its factory. There are most excellent after market gps based speedos that solve the diff change, wheelspin and factory over read issues.

OMSIN

Post by OMSIN » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:50 pm

My 2013 Navara work ute is at least 7kmp/h out (trying to make me drive slow!! ). I would use a gps unit to determine how far out you are before you go through too much hassle, You may even be better off if its as bad as my ute to start with lol

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:05 am

I have a bag of speedo drives in my garage containing white, blue, black and wouldn't ya know it one purple one. You are welcome to it or all of them.

B101

Post by B101 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:10 am

Baker93 wrote:I have a bag of speedo drives in my garage containing white, blue, black and wouldn't ya know it one purple one. You are welcome to it or all of them.
how much would you like for the purple one? nissan were going to charge me an arm and two legs for what i was after :(

B101

Post by B101 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:12 am

Andy wrote:Just remember it'll never be accurate if its factory. There are most excellent after market gps based speedos that solve the diff change, wheelspin and factory over read issues.
i was talking to a friend about this but im thinking i would like to stick to the factory look for now.

B101

Post by B101 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:18 am

OMSIN wrote:My 2013 Navara work ute is at least 7kmp/h out (trying to make me drive slow!! ). I would use a gps unit to determine how far out you are before you go through too much hassle, You may even be better off if its as bad as my ute to start with lol
yea i did have the 3.9 diff in there and changed to a 4.3 so its out a fair bit. I have calculated what speeds i am going by my rpm and its fairly accurate.

if i can get away with just changing the 19 toothed cog to a 21 toothed cog ill be happy, just as long as the shaft is the same length then it should be ok??

HasMilk

Post by HasMilk » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:48 pm

Sorry to butt in on your thread.. I'm planning a manual swap with a 82 5 speed but using the same auto diff (currently 3 speed auto), so I will have this problem yes?
In a long distance relationship with my 260z

B101

Post by B101 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:20 pm

HasMilk wrote:Sorry to butt in on your thread.. I'm planning a manual swap with a 82 5 speed but using the same auto diff (currently 3 speed auto), so I will have this problem yes?
From what I understand as long as you have the right cog in the transmission to match your diff ratio then you should be allright.
In dying this I am unsure if you can take out the speedo drive from the auto and transfer it to your manual.

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:56 pm

HasMilk wrote:Sorry to butt in on your thread.. I'm planning a manual swap with a 82 5 speed but using the same auto diff (currently 3 speed auto), so I will have this problem yes?
If you don't change the diff you will be OK
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:15 pm

Don't forget the stock stuff is all based on the factory fitted rim/tyre setup. So if you are running aftermarket rims and lower profile tyre who know what you will get......or what speedo drive cog you need. A x colour might be close based on diff etc but if your tyre combo is way different to stock take a guess...

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:34 am

Its yours. Let me know where to send it . Ill throw it in a courier bag.

asyado

Post by asyado » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi there,
if you already haven't found one, there is a guy on Ebay America that is selling 3 different coloured trans cog pickups, I'm sure as my rear end is pointing to the ground, that one of them was a purple colour.
Can't remember the guy's name, just remember seeing them the other day when I did a Z search and was scolling through my usual 30,000 Z hits, lol.
Nigel aka asyado
Insanity is only one gear change away!!!