350Z wheel alignment and balancing

If your post does not fit under any of the other technical forums post it here
netrover

350Z wheel alignment and balancing

Post by netrover » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:31 pm

Now that my Zed has arrived, I am getting the rims smartened up.

I knew from the photos that these were seriously curbed in Japan and that I would need to fix them up. They are getting done next week so I will need to also get them balanced, and while I'm at it I should get an alignment done.

Bronzee tells me that the wheels are staggered and that anyone doing an alignment needs to understand this. Not having a technical leaning I have no idea what this means, but understand I need to get the right person to do the job.

Does anyone know where I can get a proper wheel alignment done in Christchurch by someone who understands the specific requirements for a 350Z? I guess that excludes Tony's TS!!

Once the wheels are done I will get a few pics posted - at the moment the wheels are an eyesore.

Thanks in advance.
35th Anniversary Ultra Yellow 350Z

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:03 pm

" Staggered" simply means the rear rims are wider than the front.

Looking forward to pics. 8)
!972 240z
Retirement is great. Growing old sucks.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:33 pm

Hope you have a chance to use all those Turbo Wax goodies this weekend too. :wink:

Good luck with the alignment. 8)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

Buster

Post by Buster » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:12 pm

Info on our wheels. http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Wheel_Specifications

So notice the Touring 18" version 1 are 18 x 8 (front and back) where as the version 2 are 18 x 8.0 (front) and 18 x 8.5 (rear). Staggered.

Notice also the Track 18/19" version 2 are 18 x 9 (front) and 19 x 10 (rear). Also staggered.

Hey Bronzee. Do you run the same size tires front and back? I notice your rims are staggered too.

BRONZEE
Z Club Member

Post by BRONZEE » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:54 pm

Buster wrote:Do you run the same size tires front and back? I notice your rims are staggered too.
No, staggered rims and tyres. 225/50/17 front, 235/50/17 back. Stuck to the stock sizing. 8)

A few of the guys here and overseas that are running aftermarket rims (wider than stock) are running the same size all the way around.

Netrover, one thing to remind them when the wheels go back on the car, or keep a close eye on them, that the wider wheels & tyres do go on the rear after they've been prettied up (although I'm sure they're very professional). 8) Some shops you really have to watch them like a hawk especially if they have some inexperienced bods in the shop.

ps. Netrover try flicking DJZ a pm, he's back in Christchurch now, and will most likely know of a good shop to go to. 8)
Next - Z Club events:
= Check out events page here or our Z Club NZ Facebook page.

netrover

Post by netrover » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:55 pm

BRONZEE wrote:ps. Netrover try flicking DJZ a pm, he's back in Christchurch now, and will most likely know of a good shop to go to. 8)
WIll do - thanks.

netrover

Post by netrover » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:00 pm

BRONZEE wrote:Hope you have a chance to use all those Turbo Wax goodies this weekend too. :wink:
Forecast is for a sunny day tomorrow, so I'll be out with the potions and lotions and micro fibre towels!

May be mid morning before I get started - got to let the frost melt away first.

netrover

Post by netrover » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:12 pm

Buster wrote:Info on our wheels. http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Wheel_Specifications
Thanks Buster - great information.

Skiwi

Post by Skiwi » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:05 pm

I'm tossing up whether to refurbish my existing rims or buy new, so advice is appreciated.

I love the look of the existing ones, but they have been curbed back in Japan and I *think* they started life as all chrome because the black is very easy to come off (with hand washing)

Here is closest I can find to my existing Japanese(?) ones http://www.tsw.com/alloy_wheels_tremblant.php Gloss Black w/ Mirror Cut Lip

Can anybody in the South Island successfully repair curb damage in chrome?

Any idea what a refurbishment would cost?

Cheers
Skiwi