DIY Manometer

Answer to most of the common technical questions
Joopa

DIY Manometer

Post by Joopa » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:01 pm

Here's short and simple instructions how to build a six-column manometer which allows you to synchronize carbs without swapping the tubes from carb to carb.
Most difficult part is to connect columns to carbs. With Dellorto I just re-treaded the MIG tips and screwed them straight in carburettors.
Manometer itself will work with any carburettor model.

Parts needed:
- 6 MIG Welder tips. Take the smalles one you can find.
- At least 10 meters of 5 mm transparent plastic tube
- 4 T-connectors to connect bottom ends of the tubes.
- Oil (thicker the better)

All parts can be found from Bunnings etc. hardware store.
MIG Tips are needed to restrict the air flow and thus to slow down the oil movement in columns.
You can also use MIG tips to connect the tubes to the carbs but this most likely requires new treads for tips (easy thing to do if you have the tools)

Use T-Connectors and 3 about 10 cm pieces of tube to connect the bottom ends of tubes.
After you have some sort of a stand (I build mine from old bed parts and 2 pieces of wood) fill the columns half way.
As bottom ends are connected, the oil will flow freely from tube to tube and manometer is always balanced.

I filled the tubes with transmission oil at first but it was way too thin and moved too quickly and was almost sucked into the carbs.
Finally I found some unlabeled old oil can, most likely it was 2-stroke oil and worked pretty well.

As one picture tells more than 1000 words, here's a picture of my state-of-the-art manometer.

Tubes connected to Dellortos with MIG tips

Caution: Before engaging the mouth be sure that brain is in gear

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:13 pm

Made it a sticky :)

Turbo120Fabian

Post by Turbo120Fabian » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:44 pm

Thats awsome work, shall have to attempt that on my alfa setting up its twin sidies!