What racing class for my 240Z

Answer to most of the common technical questions
Tony Edmeades

Post by Tony Edmeades » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:00 pm

nzeder wrote:My 240z has a 1/2 cage but I have to remove it as it is made from Alloy and this is no longer accepted for Motorsport use - it is still ok for road use...go figure. I am at 2 minds what to do also. Replace with a 1/2 made from steel that I can get motorsport approval or full cage. This season I am looking at doing the Classic Trail as this does not require a cage as you don't race as such you just try and get as close to your nominated time (but no quicker than the rules allow which for Pukekohe is 1:20) this will allow me to make up my mind if I want to do this and then I will save the $$ for a full cage. I only have one head and I can't regrow another one so if I do decide to have a car that I will put on the track and push it then I will have a full cage....(okay thinking about it while type this reply I don't think I will do a 1/2 cage at all - but I do the luxury of owning two Zed's the 240z and the 260z 2 seater)

However I still want the Z with the cage to be road legal so I can drive to the track, race then drive home again (like I did with my old 240z racecar - which had a full cage by the way) the other zed will be used for non performance events (yea right :wink:)
Yea, I agree. The cage needs to be on the cert for road use. A full cage can end at the firewall can't it?, or does it need to go through to the towers ??. Sounds expensive and hard to remove if you want to later.
1.20s at Puke... I would hope to go faster than that, I did 1.24's in an old rx2 I built up on the cheap, and that had half the power the Z has got.

Hmmmm, the thot plickens

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:15 pm

Yea 1:20 around Pukehoe is not a lot when I had my old 240z racecar I did 1:16 and it was an Auto and the track has since been resurfaced and that took lap times down 1 sec too. So it will be about learning the corners and race craft not out and out speed (I will have to learn not to put the foot into it down the straights :twisted: )

Re the cage - the reason you put the full cage through to the strut towers is to add rigidity to the chassis. If you have a copy of "How to Hot Rod and Race your Datsun" there is a pic of BRE? zed with the cage to strut towers in the inner guard - I plan to do this so not to alter the stock look of the engine bay (when I get that far - first is to get the car running right after 9 years of non use, well not much so all the usual stuff, replace tyres, plugs, points (well replace with electronic ignition more to the point) etc

Cheers
Mike

Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:50 pm

Hi and Welcome Tony,

I at first wondered where my car would fit in the race scene, but it looks like there's a place for anything now days, I returned to motorsport two years ago and ran in club sprints. I have been accepted into the Tracer series this year, was hoping for Leisuretime so I could kick some butt, but looks like I will be the kicked not the kicker. There are a number of classes as listed by others, where you could run in a full race field but you will have just as much fun in the Club events. The Domain hill climb despite being a long wait for a short run is an absolute thrill and as long as you realise the dangers of those suspension eating curbs I can recommend it.

I have a half cage, but those zed bodies have alot of twist in them and I would go for a full cage if building from new and maybe run it through the firewall if possible.

Come to the next club nite it would be good to see you there.

Grunzter

Post by Grunzter » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:14 am

Hi Ricky,

You mention: "Arrow Wheels Sports and GT Challenge, which is a great series. All races bar one are at Pukekohe so close to home."
Could you please elaborate on this class, like what are the technical rules, who runs it (which club) etc...

I am interested to see if my car would qualify?
Cheers Grant.

PS. My car is a '79 or '80? 280zx coupe, 3.1L EFI NA, 6spd, full cage, IMSA body & zxr wing, big wheels/brakes etc... (car would not be road legal).
1981 280ZX #33 IMSA GTU Race Car
2012 Fairlady Z34 ST (For the son/wife...)
2007 Fairlady Z33 NISMO
(Sold) 1984 300ZX Z31 2+2 Turbo
(Sold) 1980 Datsun 280ZX 2+2

Rosco

Post by Rosco » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:26 am

Hi Tony
I am racing my z as a classic vehicle complying with schedule T and K in the MANZ manual..log onto Motor Sport NZ web site and there is plenty of information there.
The class is 2000-3000 cc class.
I am in the midst of applying for a Certificate of Description and will be resubmitting this cvery soo as my race car came out of the paint shop yesterday....they would approve as was because it didn't have a rear bumper, no internal rear carpet etc nor did it have head lights.....it won't have headlights in the future either as the attached photo shows but I will most likely get a category b classification.....hopefully...I ma basing my design, colour scheme on an American race team...BRE racing
I am sure with all but one of these soon able to be met there will not be a problem..sorry to go on but it is quite easy...go to a track near you, get it scrutineered after you have prepared it, then enjoy it.
A very good friend of mine down in CHCH always said, enjoy it, prepare safely, come home safe...so do the roll cage and get it homologated and numbered, and enjoy...so a good roll cage, good crash hat, and good overalls are essential...these cars go quite quickly...my roll cage is a full cage, my previous car, an MGBGT was a half cage...all the specs for the cage are on the MANZ web site.
Enjoy and if I can help further then let me know..enjoy,
Regards Ross...mob 0274 329 892
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grunzter

Post by Grunzter » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:28 pm

Hi Ross,
Your car looks great.
Glad to see more and more zeds are being resurrected and intend to spend some of their time on the track!
When do you expect your car to be all go?
I am hoping mine will be ready for next years Taupo, but I expect it will only be close to being ready by then...
Regards Grant
2007 Fairlady Z33 NISMO

Rosco

Post by Rosco » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:43 pm

Hi grant
Mine should be ready in about a month for a local Oct meeting at Ruapuna...just waiting to get the red and blue on it...white still hardning.......will keep you posted.
Regards
Ross

Rosco

Post by Rosco » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:54 am

Thought I would put the link in to the car colour scheme...thought it was the BRE team colours but its Bob Sharp racing colours.
So try this link and scroll down to the photo of the 3 red, white and blue cars
Regards
Ross.\
http://zhome.com/History/sharp.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grunzter

Post by Grunzter » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:17 pm

Hi Ross,
Good choice, let me know what paint spec you are using, as this is the same colour scheme my 280 is going to be...
Though in the IMSA 280zx style...
Regards
Grant
2007 Fairlady Z33 NISMO

Rosco

Post by Rosco » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:23 pm

Hi Grant. Like it indeed.
Regards Ross

Grunzter

Post by Grunzter » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:49 pm

...I looked into the 'Arrow Wheels Sports & GT challenge'...
And the cars must comply with MANZ schedule T&C rules, which in my case counts me out for that one due to to many modifications from that of 'standard'...

Tough my car is ok for club stuff, superGT, osca or super-sedans...

Regards Grant
2007 Fairlady Z33 NISMO

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:40 pm

Rosco did you purchase your racecar from Auckland aka ex Kevin Harrison's car - if so I sold him those rims back in 97 if I recall 15x8 -4 offset.

Rosco

Post by Rosco » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:45 pm

Yes I did...the 240z......I have done a few things to it now, with a new manifold, diff etc but a very good car for its age and quality and also have had all the rust taken out of it...so the photo above is pretty much now rust free..
Its at the apinters for the red and blue then the decals.....so hopefully not too long till its back on the track......then its up to me!!
Regards Ross.

ZROSSA

Post by ZROSSA » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:59 am

Guys,

I dont think the 1/2 cage is really an option anymore. Last time I looked into race car cages manz was looking to get full cages in all the cars and that was about 7 years ago. Club days are obvouslly different. You also need a full cage for targa style events. I just went through all this again for the cage in my 2+2. I didnt end up going through the fire wall as it greattly increased the expense and work I would have to do putting it all back together again. I do have fairly substantial strutt towers to compensate for this, however. I am pretty happy with what we ended up with. Full cage with 1 door bar, one cross brace, rear strutt tied in, belt bar and its tied into the roof and chassis at about 10 other points. My main consideration was that this is a road car so getting in and out was a priority. That has worked out well with it being no more difficult then getting in a normal racing seat. Hopefully I can find time to get the rest of the project done.

Cheers, Douglas

Tony Edmeades

Post by Tony Edmeades » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:42 am

Sorry fellas, been a bit quiet of late, had a kid, bought old mazda, generally been otherwise occupied.
Here's some pic's of my engine to wet your appetites.
Man those race cars look great don't they !!!!