Getting a crank out of an LD28 - stuck

Answer to most of the common technical questions
nustad
Z Club Member

Getting a crank out of an LD28 - stuck

Post by nustad » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:05 pm

Hey team, I am pulling an engine apart for the first time and it happens to be an LD28. I want the crank for a potential build one day.......although it will probably just sit on a shelf!

I am a little stuck and need some tuition! There are two big end bearing caps still holding the crank hostage and I wonder if there is a trick to getting them out. They are wedged into the block. Once those are out does the crank just slide out? The bit that the flywheel bolts to I am assuming can slide through the block.

Finally - other than the crank is there any point in keeping anything else. I see some people use the block for petrol engine builds but that looks hard and expensive.

Thanks for any advice!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
72 240z plus bits

Ricky
Z Club Member

Post by Ricky » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:55 pm

Borrow my crank bearing cap puller tool, it makes an easy job of it.

Cheers Ricky

Stumpy

Post by Stumpy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:22 pm

Put the bolts back in the holes of the cap and use them as handles and wiggle the cap forwards and backwards. So you need to have the bolts just sitting in the cap. Not screwed in or anything. Best way to do it if you don't want to make a puller.

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:36 am

Thanks guys - tried a range of approaches but I think I might need to take up your offer Ricky. Perhaps a rental would be in order! Will PM you.
72 240z plus bits

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:22 pm

Hi Ricky - tried to send two PM messages to you but they are just sitting in my outbox..........can I lean on you further by asking you to email me on glenn@waitete.com

Thanks!

G
72 240z plus bits

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:50 pm

Hi i assume you may have this issue sorted my now but for future reference the easiest way to get the center bearing cap out is to wind an M8 bolt into the hole in the middle of the cap. Then with the crank in the position shown with a counter weight next to the bearing cap in the up position, place the nail pulling fork of a large crow bar under the head of the M8 and the heel of the crowbar on the counterweight just lever it up. It should not be very tight. The rear cap can normally just be levered up from the rear once the oil seal is removed. Dont damage the oil seal surfaces.

nustad
Z Club Member

Post by nustad » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:50 am

Thanks Anthony - helpful trick!

I have just used Ricky’s home made tool and it is a complete pleasure using a tool perfectly designed to do the job. Made it super easy! Thanks to Ricky for being a good bugger.

Job done!
72 240z plus bits