Nw clutch slipping problem...........

Answer to most of the common technical questions
geordieggg

Nw clutch slipping problem...........

Post by geordieggg » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:56 pm

I recently installed a new clutch (stock replacement) in the car, and it's now starting to show the same symptoms as the old one I replaced.

The old clutch used to slip at high rev changes, then got to the stage where even just trying to accelerate up the hill would cause it to slip. Bought a new clutch kit with everything, had the flywheel machined and the thrust bearing changed over by a shop.

The problem I ran into was that the slave cylinder initially didn't want to mount up, it was like it was trying to constantly engage the clutch. I checked the slave was working correctly (not seized at all). Ended up having to shorten the rod, which seemed to work ok (yeah I know - a big no-no but needed the car going..........)

Now however I'm starting to run into the same problem as what caused me to change the clutch in the first place.

When I installed the clutch and got the box back in place (before installing the slave cylinder), it seemed like the fork had a little play in it (not excessive, just what you'd expect to allow the thrust bearing to fully disengage from the fingers). When I first tried to install the slave cylinder, it was pushing hard against the fork.

I was going to pull the box out this week to check everything. Well, I went about it slightly arse-about (as I always do......) and ended up with the motor coming out (not the box as planned), and here's what I've found with a quick measure-up:

New clutch cover was same height as the one I removed from the car. Now, I have one I removed from a R30 Skyline as well, so I thought I'd check that (useless checking one that was replaced in the car as it was exactly the same as the new one)

Old Skyline cover height = approx. 44mm
Thrust bearing collar from same clutch (measured to face of bearing) = approx. 58mm
Which gives a total of 102mm from flywheel, plus a little more for clearance.

Now, the new one I got has:
New cover height = approx. 58mm
Thrust bearing collar from same clutch (measured to face of bearing) = approx. 58mm
Which gives a total of 116mm - too much right?

Which leaves me with a problem. It looks like I need a collar that is about 46mm (measured to face of bearing).

Does that sound about right, or have I missed something major? And if anyone can help with a shorter collar or another cover that won't cost an arm and a leg (the Skyline one is FUBAR), please help!! I want this thing to make it to SFoS this year (not 2027, which is when it looks like it might finally make it!!!)