wanted crank and rod bearings

Answer to most of the common technical questions
WIKEDZ

wanted crank and rod bearings

Post by WIKEDZ » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 pm

where would i get some good quality crank and rod bearings for my l30 build.
have read some past posts but nissan here was hopeless and sta doesnt seem to list any.

djz

Post by djz » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:01 pm

ACL ones would be the easiest to get in NZ.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

WIKEDZ

Post by WIKEDZ » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:35 pm

are they any good though nzeeder has said ricky used them and they didnt last long

djz

Post by djz » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:44 pm

There's probably 10s of thousands of vehicles in NZ and Australia running ACL bearings. I'm using ACL race ones in my motor but have used the standard ones in the past.

Im not saying they are the only option but I wouldn't rule them out just yet. Ring up whoever is doing the engine work and ask what they'd use.
Nissan 280ZX 2 seater RB26 powered.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:50 pm

ACL are ok for RB but for a while the L6 stuff was lower quality aka you counld not get the ACL Race range for the L6. I have not checked into for a long time.

WIKEDZ

Post by WIKEDZ » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:10 pm

looked at a few past posts and thank you nzeeder for the info on ndc bearings at sta parts rang them today and ordered some. they were very well priced.
also rang acl they still dont do race l6 bearings only standard but did say that they are trimetal again not the other silica blend they were doing.
also their price for standard from repco and ebay were still twice the price of the ndc ones so thanks agian for the info. also the bowden engine parts link was very helpfull for the piston options for the rebuild of the black car motor.
nzeeder you must be hardwired into the internet , phone book, and any source of good info for anything z thanks again for sharing the info with others.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:45 pm

WIKEDZ wrote:nzeder you must be hardwired into the internet.
lol well it is easy when you have been using the internet before it was know as the internet ;) - showing my age now.

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:45 am

Hi
Yep go with the NDC bearings. They are a good compound and last well. if you cant get them locally, Stuart Wilkins in Australia normally have them in stock.
My experiences with ACL bearings over the last few years have not been the best. Please note these experiences have been under race conditions with L series motors only. I am not for a moment suggesting all ACL Bearings are rubbish. For the L Series its NDC all the way. Ricky, myself and one or two others have probably built more L motors than the rest of the club put together and we all now run NDC bearings. Just my 5 cents worth. Good luck.