How can I use my drag Z at the next track day?

Answer to most of the common technical questions
ForemanNZ

How can I use my drag Z at the next track day?

Post by ForemanNZ » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:33 pm

My 300ZX will not be road legal, so I sent this e-mail to the taupo track manager:

I am part of the Datsun Z Club, and would like to run my car at our next private track day, but my car will be built for drag racing and will not be road legal - what would I need to do to it to be able to use it at our track days? The car will be inspected by an NZDRA tech inspector to ensure it meets NZDRA safety requirements, but that does not mean it will meet MSNZ requirements.

I got this reply:

The only answer I can give you is that if there was a Motorsport New Zealand Steward present and the club was running under a Motorsport New Zealand permit you could not run. If the meeting was nut running under a M.S.N.Z. permit you could possibly run if the club would let you.

Given that the Datsun Z Club will run under MSNZ rules for track days, this puts a damper on things! The car will be tech inspected to NZDRA rules, but they don't match MSNZ rules, so what do I need for my car to comply to MSNZ rules as well?(just the major stuff)
AKA ZFETSH
Now armed with a Z32 2+0 NA

mungyz

Post by mungyz » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:45 pm

How long is a piece of string?
Why dont you just build it so it is still road legal then it wont be a problem :D

ForemanNZ

Post by ForemanNZ » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:55 pm

Then I will need wipers, headlights, hazard lights, a horn, parking lights will need to work ... will never really drive it on the road, so no road user charges to pay either
AKA ZFETSH
Now armed with a Z32 2+0 NA

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:53 pm

If you visit http://www.motorsport.org.nz/Regs/regulations.htm go down the page until you get to Manual 33 click that link then go down to book 2 and schedule A (or just click here for the pdf of Schedule A)

If you build your car to Schedule A safety standards it will pass get a MSNZ log book, Cage approval and then get your NZDRA approval for the same cage - you are in business one of the two bodies will have more standards or they will be about the same just build to the stricter rules and you should be fine.

Cheers
Mike