after market parts

Answer to most of the common technical questions
Rusty260

after market parts

Post by Rusty260 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:17 pm

Hi there

I am currently rebuilding the steering and suspension in my 260 coupe and was going to replace the track rod ends as they have a balljoint that is sealed and can't be pressed out to change. I spoke to Nissan and they want $150 each!! I can't seem to find any after market ones listed under 240/260Z were any of the parts on the Z car common too any other models?

I just ended up paying $130 too nissan for the steering pinion bearings and the oil seal. Dam they know how to charge!

Cheers
Tony

M4vr1k

Post by M4vr1k » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:50 pm

Track rods = tie rod ends?
If so, let me know, ill see if i can get some for a decent price
[M4VR1K]
1974 Datsun 260z 2+2

Rusty260

Post by Rusty260 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:31 pm

Yep tie rods I was just quoting from the manual, as a last resort if they are too expensive I could always drill , Tap and fit some grease nipples to the old ones and pump them full of grease.

But I am sure these will just be a couple of parts in a long list that I will need to replace thats why I was wondering if if any of the steering/Brake/suspension parts were used in any other model datsuns, seems to be quite a few parts for a 240C what ever that was

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:37 pm

This is one area where the zed did not share parts with other models at the time - the tie rod ends are very very different to any other Nissan/Datsun model so if you can't find a aftermarket supplier you are stuck with Nissan (years a go I got some from Repco but we are talking 10 years ago and they were $59.95 back then from repco :shock: ) - and I am thinking I might mod mine to take a more common rod end with a custom rod between the stock rack end and this common tie rod end. This will require a cert but I need to cert my car for some of the other mods so not a big deal to me.

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:12 am

I just acquired a new tie rod from my friendly Datsun mechanic at $25.60 plus GST - sounds like I had better find out if he can get some more!

M4vr1k

Post by M4vr1k » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:08 am

The tie rod ends on my 260 already had grease nipples on them. Talk to my dad, he is Torana2 on trademe, and on these forums too, he can get awesome prices on heaps of stuff for Zeds
[M4VR1K]
1974 Datsun 260z 2+2

geordieggg

Post by geordieggg » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:34 am

I'm heading to Melbourne just after Christmas, so I'll see how I go, will try to get a price for you from there if you're interested? Can pick them up and bring them back with me.

Rusty260

Post by Rusty260 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:21 am

Thanks for the offer thats really generous of you

I have found a set on the internet in oz at Z spares and they are reasonably priced , I am sure that the postage won't be too much so I will order them from those guys.

enjoy your Holiday

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!

geordieggg

Post by geordieggg » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:12 am

Ok, Z Spares ae based in Melbourne, so if freight is extremely expensive, then I'll give you an adress to get them sent to (my parents) which is where I'm staying, and I can bring them back for you if you want.

Merry Christmas to all, see you all next year!

mckenzig

Post by mckenzig » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:59 pm

I replaced mine off EBay here in Australia for $26 per side so keep an eye out