6-speed box into 260z

Answer to most of the common technical questions
ZMAD

6-speed box into 260z

Post by ZMAD » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:14 am

Hi people, seen this Altezza/Lexus gearbox on Trademe with L-series bellhousing welded on. Anyone know if this is a good way to go instead of rebuilding original 5-speed. The gear lever maybe back too far causing grief in a road car with center console. Sounds nice though aye, 6 gears with close ratio's.
Listing #: 277292836
All Nissans are racecars.

mike260z

Post by mike260z » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:02 pm

Might be the way to go , my 5 speed crapped itself a couple of years ago and none of the transmission places in Hamilton would fix it. In the end i had to go for a ZX box. Surely the L would have the legs for a six speed - ( more than the poxy 3SGE ) or whatever they put in those Altezzas has anyway :lol:
74 260z 2+2

ZMAD

Post by ZMAD » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:01 am

Oh really. I thought a manual gearbox was an easy rebuild for transmission shops. Thanks for info Mike.
All Nissans are racecars.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:47 pm

me too Z box ZX box does not matter both are 71B boxes just ratios are different and a good gearbox shop should be able to fix any box - obviously the ones you tried just weren't good gearbox shops :(

Tony Edmeades

Post by Tony Edmeades » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:51 pm

Regrettably I dismantled my old 240Z gearbox and then scrapped it. In doing so however I discovered it had significantly different syncromesh balke rings than the usual. If 260 ones are the same I wouldn't be surprised if trans shops would steer clear of them. Couldn't find reference to that design in any trade literature.

nzeder
Site Admin

Post by nzeder » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:24 pm

An A box is very different but the B box are much the same I would have the thought - mind you I now have C boxes :)