Shock absorber choices

Answer to most of the common technical questions
thechans

Shock absorber choices

Post by thechans » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:28 pm

Hi Guys, I'm just after some advice/input .I have just replaced the springs in my 1971 240z with some Kings springs which i got from Aussie , they are just the standard lowering ones as far as i know to drop the car down a couple of inches ( to give it the stance i want) and maybe to help the handling a little bit .when i replaced the rear spring on the drivers side i discovered that shock was stuffed ( which probably explains why it sat down more on that side). My question is what relacement shock cartridges are you using, ie had satisfactory experience with.I can get KYB'S from SuperCheap or Monroes from Repco, these are both just standard gas filled cartridges which will probably be ok as the car is just used for road cruising.Are there any other options which you guys have used.
Thanks in advance, Mel

us2
Z Club Member
Location: Weymouth by the sea.Auckland.Don't dream it ,be there

Post by us2 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:12 am

Hi. I fitted new Konis to the front of my 1972 240 five or six years ago in the belief they were good shocks.
When I opened the box one of the shocks was leaking, which Stocks put right. After only five thousand miles !!! they
are both leaking. I havn't taken them back because of the time iv'e had them and dont need the grief. I refitted my old shocks KYB,
and they are fine. Im sure others others have more experience with shocks than me but after my experience
I wont use Konis again.

mike260z

Post by mike260z » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:42 am

I had KYBs in both of my Evos and they were great shocks - no problems with leaks or stuffed shocks. These are the most common performance shocks for S30 Z cars - http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/LNP1/23-4041KI Everyone in the US raves about Tokico shocks so they must be pretty darn good.
74 260z 2+2

old_datto_fan
Z Club Member

Post by old_datto_fan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:28 pm

I have used adjustable Tokicos in both my current and previous Zed and been very happy with them. They come in both adjustable and non-adjustable versions. I've been told that the KYBs for the 240Z are not very good but that may very well just be someones biased opinion. They drop the car by about 20mm which means it is not too low for a road car. I also found that it was cheaper to buy them from Motorsport Auto and air freight them out than it was to buy anything of resonable quality locally.

240z
Z Club Member

Post by 240z » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:46 am

I have been running the same Koni shocks in my 240z since the late 80s they have been rebuilt twice by Stocks at a small charge concidering the car has done 4 targa events and numerous track days and club events I have been very happy with there performance over the years and being rebuildable i have found them extremely good value for money.

Baker93
Z Club Member

Post by Baker93 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:05 pm

Hi
The late eighties, dont know if i can remember back that far ! Can only comment on either Konis or Bilstien. Have had experience (good) with both but settled on bilstiens about 10 years ago. Completely rebuildable like konis just easier to revalve etc. Both are now expensive but long term are good value for money.
Anthony

thechans

Post by thechans » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:20 pm

Thanks guys for your input, about what price should i exoect to pay for Konis, i can buy KYB'S or Monroes for about $100 each which is nothing.
Regards Mel

merlin

Post by merlin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:55 pm

Hi Mel. I got my Koni shocks from George Stocks around 5-6 yrs ago and paid 205$ each I'm sure they would have gone up by now so you might be looking around $250 each or $1000 to do a car. Have not had any troubles but I have only done 1700 kms so far, so can't really comment on durability.