Water Pump Pulleys

Answer to most of the common technical questions

Moderators: BRONZEE, Z Club

Post Reply
User avatar
Baker93
Z Club Member
Posts: 330
Location: Auckland

Water Pump Pulleys

Post by Baker93 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:24 pm

Hi does anyone have a large diameter (approx 138mm OA) water pump pulley they would like to part with, know if there are any of these available after market or know of any weckers etc in Auckland who may have old L series engines or bits
I have one of these currently and believe they may have originally been on cars with non viscous fans or 4 cyl L16,L18 etc.

User avatar
nzeder
Site Admin
Posts: 1503
Location: Auckland
Contact:

Post by nzeder » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:13 am

I have checked all the parts catalogues I have and I removed the large water pump pulley from my Navara ute and confirm they do not work on the L6 only the Z series and L4 series of engines, and the part numbers confirm/match this.

However there is such a pulley you are looking for and I am on the hunt for one also. It was factory fitted to all NZ New 260c and is 135mm diameter at the bottom of the V-Belt vs 112mm for the stock 280zx/260z/240z units.

I am trying to track down a source for these pulleys. I have read that a few guys in the US have used a aftermarket chev V8 unit they just need to to make a spacer that is installed between the water pump and the pulley to change the belt location and the pulley ID. However I have not seen this done but it might be something to look into.

User avatar
Baker93
Z Club Member
Posts: 330
Location: Auckland

Post by Baker93 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:25 am

Thanks Mike. Thats not much help. I thought you knew every thing lol. Seriously thanks for the effort ill keep looking or may make one. ill let know how i get on.

User avatar
nzeder
Site Admin
Posts: 1503
Location: Auckland
Contact:

Post by nzeder » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:04 pm

Baker93 wrote:I thought you knew every thing lol.
yea right - too much to know lol I can also confirm that pulley in question was also found on the L24/L28 (late L24 that is) in C31, R30, C210 and as you stated non viscus fan, non power steering and non aircon models only + the 330 (260c) and 430 (280c)

User avatar
ZMAD
Posts: 657
Location: Tauranga

Post by ZMAD » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:14 am

On the subject of pulleys. What would I use to go from V-belt to multi V-belt to drive SC14 supercharger. Any late Nissan pulleys bolt on to L28 cranshaft or on front of existing crankshaft pulley. I realise will need to upgrade alternator and water pump pulley (electric water pump solves later one) if original crankshaft pulley upgraded.

Cheers for any ideas everyone.
All Nissans are racecars.

User avatar
nzeder
Site Admin
Posts: 1503
Location: Auckland
Contact:

Post by nzeder » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:53 pm

Well I have an aftermarket crank balancer that is a 6 belt multi setup and a new matching alternator (so just need to sort the water pump), alternator is an internal IC type so you might need to change the wiring + it does have a different plug connection so wiring changes are required.

PM me if you are interested but as both are new (never used) and the aftermarket balancer based on the Fisher Concept and $$ to get so the price is not cheap + I might use them on the RB later (the balancer requires a new adaptor to work with the RB which is what I still have it on the shelf)

User avatar
ZMAD
Posts: 657
Location: Tauranga

Post by ZMAD » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:54 pm

Did you mean 6 belt multi setup or 6 vee multi setup. Looking for ideas at moment to know wether to pursue this project. When you say $$$, I have a hernea as I,ve seen the crazy prices aftermarket stuff fetches. A photo and price PM'm will be apreciated for consideration. Pulleys removed from other engines is what I could afford. Does it actually fit L26 or L28?
All Nissans are racecars.

User avatar
nzeder
Site Admin
Posts: 1503
Location: Auckland
Contact:

Post by nzeder » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:01 pm

ZMAD wrote:Did you mean 6 belt multi setup or 6 vee multi setup. Looking for ideas at moment to know wether to pursue this project. When you say $$$, I have a hernea as I,ve seen the crazy prices aftermarket stuff fetches. A photo and price PM'm will be apreciated for consideration. Pulleys removed from other engines is what I could afford. Does it actually fit L26 or L28?
It fits a L28 and therefore L26 it is serpentine pulley type.

You have PM

holden_fan2005
Posts: 47
Location: Titahi Bay

Post by holden_fan2005 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:09 pm

ZMAD wrote:On the subject of pulleys. What would I use to go from V-belt to multi V-belt to drive SC14 supercharger. Any late Nissan pulleys bolt on to L28 cranshaft or on front of existing crankshaft pulley. I realise will need to upgrade alternator and water pump pulley (electric water pump solves later one) if original crankshaft pulley upgraded.

Cheers for any ideas everyone.
I was wondering the exact same thing. What about running two single V belts?

User avatar
ZMAD
Posts: 657
Location: Tauranga

Post by ZMAD » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:18 pm

holden_fan2005 wrote:
ZMAD wrote:On the subject of pulleys. What would I use to go from V-belt to multi V-belt to drive SC14 supercharger. Any late Nissan pulleys bolt on to L28 cranshaft or on front of existing crankshaft pulley. I realise will need to upgrade alternator and water pump pulley (electric water pump solves later one) if original crankshaft pulley upgraded.

Cheers for any ideas everyone.
I was wondering the exact same thing. What about running two single V belts?
Do you mean Change pulley on supercharger to twin v pulleys or single v? Probably very difficult due to electric clutch. Z race products (USA) have the pulleys for crank and waterpump if you can aford, I'm sure we can figure something out Kiwi style.
All Nissans are racecars.

holden_fan2005
Posts: 47
Location: Titahi Bay

Post by holden_fan2005 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:26 am

Yep I mean change the pulley on the supercharger. Pulling the clutched one off and machining up a twin/single V pulley should work right (to bolt onto the s/c)?

User avatar
ZMAD
Posts: 657
Location: Tauranga

Post by ZMAD » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:57 pm

nzeder wrote:Well I have an aftermarket crank balancer that is a 6 belt multi setup and a new matching alternator (so just need to sort the water pump), alternator is an internal IC type so you might need to change the wiring + it does have a different plug connection so wiring changes are required.

PM me if you are interested but as both are new (never used) and the aftermarket balancer based on the Fisher Concept and $$ to get so the price is not cheap + I might use them on the RB later (the balancer requires a new adaptor to work with the RB which is what I still have it on the shelf)
Unfortunately the Toyota superchargers pulley is 5 vee multi belt type, I actually have the matching toyota pulleys and the crankshaft pulley has a 25mm int diameter hole and slot to fit to crankshaft, the waterpump pulley's mounting holes are close but not same as nissan waterpump. Can be redrilled though.
All Nissans are racecars.

User avatar
ZMAD
Posts: 657
Location: Tauranga

Post by ZMAD » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:01 pm

holden_fan2005 wrote:Yep I mean change the pulley on the supercharger. Pulling the clutched one off and machining up a twin/single V pulley should work right (to bolt onto the s/c)?
Yeah, could work. Will need to retain clutch to allow supercharger to work when the boot is buried. Twin belts may be needed to avoid belt slippage.
All Nissans are racecars.

User avatar
WIKEDZ
Posts: 213
Location: napier

Post by WIKEDZ » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:17 pm

in regards to the waterpump pully i sold mine to baker93 and it came off my parts car which was an import 280zx with a l20 non power steer but did have aircon. and was not viscous

just out of interest in case you still need to find one gives you yet another model to look at.

User avatar
Baker93
Z Club Member
Posts: 330
Location: Auckland

Post by Baker93 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:12 am

All these belts and pulleys sound like a headache in the making. The chances of trying to find fit and align factory gear from other cars on multiple engine components (alternator, water pump, crankshaft and possibly ps) and get it all turning at the right speed sounds like a big ask. I have generally found in the past it is cheaper to decide what you want to do, where you want it to fit and what speed you want to turn it at, then go after market with a proper Gilmer or Petterson belt and pulley system. Als Blower Drives in Henderson Auckland may be able to help. But be warned this work is always expensive.

Post Reply